New Fish, New Worries!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! This is a bit of an introductory post and an advice seeking post. I have been lurking around this forum for a while and used information to start cycling my 5 gallon freshwater tank (thank you guys by the way!) and now I have added my first tank tenant, a Figure 8 Puffer. (Just so there isn't any confusion, I cycled my tank for almost 2 months before adding him)

I was going to get a few guppies, but when I went to Petco, the little guy just stood out to me. Those adorable eyes, his little fins going, and his bright rings. I was surprised to see him in the Freshwater section and just had to have him. The clerk at the store warned me that I couldn't have any other fish in the tank, and I was fine with that.

I have been keeping track of the water to make sure my tank doesn't get filthy and stays neutral. He is very active (though I need to give him some more places to explore) and a healthy eater (I've fed him live snails, shrimp, and frozen bloodworms) so I have felt very confident in starting in this hobby.

Here is the problem, if you haven't noticed already from reading. He was sold to me as a Freshwater puffer, but I have read that Figure 8's are brackish! I don't want to lose this cutie after being successful thus far. Is it possible to add salt and turn my water brackish in order for him to live a healthy, long life?

Also, since he does love to eat shrimps and snails, any tips how I can raise and breed my own for him instead of going to the store once a week to resupply?
Anything else I should be feeding him?

Ummm ypu do know those things need a way bigger tank right? Tank mates aren't much of an option either. As they mature you need to start him in brackish. Im no expert by any meand on these guys but if I were you, id look into going to petco and buying him a 55g tank or more for starters. If im not mistaken these ones get huge!

I believe, from what I read that they get up to 2.5-3" so I will definitely be getting him a bigger tank soon! As far as tank mates, I won't be putting him with anyone at all.

Thank you!

I believe, from what I read that they get up to 2.5-3" so I will definitely be getting him a bigger tank soon! As far as tank mates, I won't be putting him with anyone at all.

Thank you!

Yeah I could be mistaken!

For f8:
You need to upgrade tank to at least 15g, but preferably higher.
Then set up a brackish water mixing station for water changes.

For feeders:
Use your 5g to breed pond/pest snails or red cherry shrimp (harder if you do both in one tank). I prefer the snails since maintenance for them is easier and they multiply faster.

Thank you so much Terrance!

I will get another tank and start cycling it right away.

Back
Top Bottom