New fish not eating????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it typical for new fish to not want to eat??

I've got 3 Platys in a newly set-up 20 gall. They've been in there about a day. For whatever reason, they have no interest in eating. They seem ok otherwise, but will not eat. I'm offering Tetra-Min Flake food, 1 flake at a time so as not to pollute the tank. They end up floating to the bottom, uneaten. I did manage to get the female to eat some freeze-dried bloodworms, but the males just aren't interested.

I have a Marineland Peguin 150 filter--is there too much water current, perhaps? Is this filter too big for a 20 gall?

I noticed one male picking on the other earlier....could this be the problem? Maybe they're too obsessed with staking claim on the female to care about food, LOL.

Maybe I'm just way-over-analyzing and they'll eat eventually :? .

Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate are at 0......since we're just starting out. Temp is at 79.

Any input or suggestions? Thanks!!

The tank is not cycled. How long has it been set up? What kind of test kit are you using? The 150 is not too much filtration, I have one on my 10 gal tank. You're fish probably aren't eating because they are new. Don't worry about it. Give them two or three days.

I agree with Fishy. Give them a few days, and if they STILL aren't eating, then post back and we can help you from there. :) HTH

i read platies like temp of 77F...i keep mine in a community tank at 78 and they are fine...just a thought... :D

Thanks....maybe I'm expecting too much too soon :oops:!

Fishyfanatic, no, the tank is not cycled yet. I'm using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate tests (the ones with the bottles of drops).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong......I'd read somewhere that these are what I need to use if I'm using Amquel (???).

The AP kit is the best IMO. The only bad thing I've ever heard about the kit is that the Nitrates can be hard to read at higher levels, but if your levels are that high, then water changes are needed anyways. :) Great choice.

The only thing I wanted to add is once you are cycled, you will want more females. The two males are going to torture one lone female.

I try to keep a 1:3 male to female ratio in my tank. Seems like the general consensus is to have at least 1:2, but I would most definately recommend 1:3 if you have the space.

Thanks.......I agree I'm going to need another female or two. I had originally gone in for 1 male/2 females and the guy at Petsmart told me that's only necessary if I want to breed them. Should've gone with my original plan, instead of listening to them--I knew better (the same people who told me an Ammonia test kit is not necessary) :roll: .

Well, the good news is they've finally figured out that Human At Tank=FOOD and they're eating like little sharks now.

Hm, do you know how cycle's work? I would not add any more fish. In fact, I'd bring the one's you have back (if possible), and try a fishless cycle. The fish may die from the ammonia, nitrite, or a disease they get because of the ammonia and/or nitrite levels. HTH

Hi RoK, Yes, I have a pretty good idea how cycles work--I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination (that's why I'm here :wink:) --but I have a general idea. Not to worry, I wasn't planning on adding any other fish until the tank is cycled. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom