Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New fish selection...any suggestions?

I have a 150 gallon freshwater (somewhat) planted tank that contains for the most part community fish. In it I have the typical mollies, platys, guppies, and then giant danios, and many rainbowfish. In addition, I have an upsidown cat, a betta,, an angelfish, a black ghost knife, an African knife, a yo yo loach, and a Botia loach, many plecos and algae eaters, some glass shrimp, a rainbowshark, and probably alot more that I'm forgetting. But, I am interested in buying some new fish and am open to suggestions. What I am looking at right now is a elephant nose, and fish along the lines of that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Without knowing exactly how many fish you have it's hard to give you suggestions. You may be overstocked or have plenty of room depending but it's impossible to tell from just this. Can you give us a more complete list and perhaps some pics?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
come get me tang police!

One other thing to think about is the stocking compatibility you have currently. BGK/African knife do not mix well with small community fish, unless you are using them as feeders. They may be small enough now to where it isn't an issue, but give it time.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #4

It certainly is not overstocked, its a 4ft by 3ft by 3ft, with a 216watt oddysea lighting unit, I have a few plants in it like amazon swords and some other floating plants. I can post pics tommarrow. That list is correct of all of the fish in my tank except for 3 neon tetras. Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #5

And yes the bgk is small, but the African knife is about 5 inches and doesn't harm anyone or even attempt to.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman22 View Post
It certainly is not overstocked, its a 4ft by 3ft by 3ft, with a 216watt oddysea lighting unit, I have a few plants in it like amazon swords and some other floating plants. I can post pics tommarrow. That list is correct of all of the fish in my tank except for 3 neon tetras. Thanks
What I meant was can you tell us exactly how many of each type of fish you have? You mentioned many mollies, platys, rainbows etc but how many of each?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #7

Haha.. Sorry my bad, I have 4 mollies (1 male, 3 female), 3 platys (1 m, 2 f), 4 rainbowfish, 2 guppies ( 1m, 1f), 3 neon tetras, and about 35 platypus fry, but they are in a breeder 10 gal with guppy fry
Old 07-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #8

I meant platy fry, not platypus, iPhone autocorrect for sucks
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is that your complete stocking list, or are the angels, catfish, etc. you mentioned above fish you have or fish you want to have?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #10

I do indeed have all of the other fish listed but only one of each listed, not multiple
Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #11

I was just expanding on those specific fish
Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't believe that you are overstock but those knife will start to eat anything that fits in their mouth when the lights go out. I think you may want to go back to the drawing board with that stock list though. Also I am curious how lighting is even relavent when someone mentions you being overstocked? There is not need to be defensive either the members here are always going to look out of the well being of the fish first, so don't be afraid of a little constructive criticism.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #13

Ya I gotcha, I was just mentioning the lights cus I thought certain fish are sensitive to it. Honestly I do not plan on keeping all of the upper level small fish if they are in danger.

Tags
fish selection, new fish, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com