New fish stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is going to be fairly heavily planted. Could I keep any other fish in the tank, without disturbing the anglefish breeding? (Gardneri killifish, neon tetras, hatchet fish, GBR?)

it's kind of a toss up, the greatest odds of success is going to be with the pair in their own tank, but i've kept angels along with schoolers and other species, the parents usually do a good job of chasing the other fish off. The most important part is making sure the others have room to get away.

jetajockey said:
it's kind of a toss up, the greatest odds of success is going to be with the pair in their own tank, but i've kept angels along with schoolers and other species, the parents usually do a good job of chasing the other fish off. The most important part is making sure the others have room to get away.

I want the anglefish to have there full attention on the eggs, not chasing other fish away. Here is my plan: I am.going to buy 6 anglefish (my lfs will sell then the size of a quarter). I will hopefully get 2 pairs out of it, once I get the 2 pairs I will sell the other 2 that didn't pair off.
Does that sound like a good plan?

prebreeders just mean they are just about old enough to breed, approx 8-12 months-ish (I don't know the exact age.

Those are some beautiful fish, as far as the price goes I can't say for sure, might want to check AB. I did buy discus from those people and it went well, but I think they require overnight shipping.

I am glad I didn't order the pre breeders, I thought it ment they have breed in the past and that they are about to again. Before I get any new anglefish I need to figure out what to do with my old fish. Any ideas?

craigslist, or if you are up to shipping them, then post them up for sale here. Or post them in both places and see what happens. :)

I did a brief writeup on the shipping process here-

Shipping FAQ

Pre-breeders are good, much better than juveniles since they are already near sexual maturity. The bad thing esp with angels is they aren't really sexable so you'd end up having to get multiples, so you'd prob be better off paying extra for a mated pair instead so you can skip the whole 'getting more fish and then rehoming some later' process.

jetajockey said:
craigslist, or if you are up to shipping them, then post them up for sale here. Or post them in both places and see what happens. :)

I did a brief writeup on the shipping process here-

Shipping FAQ

When the time comes I will look into that, thanks. BTW what is AB?

jetajockey said:
aquabid- i also added to that last post.

Thanks for all your help! I just realized in 2 years I will be going to college, and maybe it is not a good idea to spend a bunch of money on a breeding pair that I will have to sell. (My parents know nothing about fish, I mean NOTHING, lol)

jetajockey said:
Maybe. Then again, 2 years is a long way down the road, your breeding pair may not even be breeding anymore by then.

Lets say that I bought on of those for sure breeding pairs (150$). How long could I expect them to breed for? What is the average life span of an anglefish?

Back
Top Bottom