New fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rookery

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 30" x 12" x 15" tank currently houses 5 Odessa Barbs, 5 Peppered Corys and an Ancistrus and has been established for 3 or 4 years. I want to add a few more fish and I'm looking for suggestions. I quite fancy a few Rams and my lfs has suggested 2 males and 3 females. I dont want anything too exotic neither do I want the usual tetras. Any other ideas or do you think the Rams will be suitable/compatible?

GBRs (rams) should be male/female in equal numbers. Unlike live bearing fish (guppies, mollies etc) they form pairs that are monogamous. So if you have 3/2, you'll have one lonely guy who will try to make moves on the other male's girls.

GBRs (rams) should be male/female in equal numbers. Unlike live bearing fish (guppies, mollies etc) they form pairs that are monogamous. So if you have 3/2, you'll have one lonely guy who will try to make moves on the other male's girls.

Thanks for that. Apart from the ratio, do you agree these will be suitable for my tank?

The rams should be fine. A couple of things about them though (speaking from experience) they can be very sensitive to pH fluxes and water conditions in general. We lost countless rams with water changes. The 2 pairs we have now are doing excellent even through the tank crash we had a few weeks ago during which we lost 108 neon tetras.

They are very fun to watch. We can spend hours just sitting and watching how they interact. Their courtship and spawning rituals are when you see the best of them.

Thanks again. I've had various tanks over the years and have had a few different cichlids at various times including Keyholes, Angels and Severums. They are all great to watch. Odd that the lfs suggested an uneven number of males and females although I once had a male Angel in with 2 females which laid eggs alternately every week or two and they seemed quite happy.

I agree that rams would make a nice choice. Apistos or Bolivian rams would fit the bill too and are a bit hardier IME.

After much deliberation, I got a very attractive pair of juvenile Apistogramma Cacauoides a few weeks ago from my lfs. They settled in and ate well from the off. This evening, I have noticed that the female has laid about 40 - 50 eggs on the side of a flowerpot and is currently keeping a close eye on them. The male doesnt seem to be taking any interest though. I'm very pleased although I dont expect the eggs to still be there tomorrow. She is currently chasing away the Cory's if they get too close.

Rookery said:
After much deliberation, I got a very attractive pair of juvenile Apistogramma Cacauoides a few weeks ago from my lfs. They settled in and ate well from the off. This evening, I have noticed that the female has laid about 40 - 50 eggs on the side of a flowerpot and is currently keeping a close eye on them. The male doesnt seem to be taking any interest though. I'm very pleased although I dont expect the eggs to still be there tomorrow. She is currently chasing away the Cory's if they get too close.

What are you planning to do with the fry? Also, where do you live, if you don't mind me asking.

Back
Top Bottom