New fish suggestions? Stocking 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have my 20gh planted that I've had for a while now and there's only a dalmatian Molly and a paradise gourami in it. Is their a small schooling fish I could put in it that anyone recommends? Or any other suggestions for it?

I've heard of these sorts of tanks holding neon tetras fine with heaters in them. Maybe those are an option?

I agree about neons. They would be nice. However, neons can often have health problems, due to their intense breeding, so you need to be careful when selecting neons from your LFS.

I also agree about the harlequins, but they might be a bit too active for a high tank.

Ok I'll look into the neons and harlequins. Thanks for the suggestions.

I recently combined Strawberry Rasbora's with Neon Blue Rasbora's which led to great effect, they all follow each other round in a very pleasing school.

Tetras

Not the rummy-nose tetra though as they are very sensitive to water conditions!

I'm worried the paradise gourami would eat anything smaller that it tho? Would it eat any of these types of fish?

I'm guessing your Paradise Gourami is no bigger than 3inches? If so tetras will be fine, both Neon and Harlequins are around the 1inch mark so your Gourami won't touch them. The Rasboras I'm not too sure about as they are a bit smaller. If you're after guppies though they'd be fine also.

Kennedy008 said:
I'm guessing your Paradise Gourami is no bigger than 3inches? If so tetras will be fine, both Neon and Harlequins are around the 1inch mark so your Gourami won't touch them. The Rasboras I'm not too sure about as they are a bit smaller. If you're after guppies though they'd be fine also.

Ya he's about 2.5 inches. I just need them to fill the tank seeing as it only has two fish in it right now. Once the paradise gets a bit bigger he's going into my 55 anyway.

And ya I want some shrimp that would be cool. What are their requirements?

So I went with some zebra danios that were on sale for 99 cents. I got seven of them but they are so small I may get another Molly just to breed with my current one. Will different collor mollies mate? May be a dumb question lol.

If you want to breed mollies go 1m to 2-3f so that one doesn't get stressed by over pursuing

Good call. What's the platty ratio? Similar? I may move my mollie to the 55g.

Right now I have most of my fish in my thirty gallon, and 1 pregnant Guppy and platy in my ten gallon along with a breeding net with 25 fry.

I have a 55 gallon not setup yet as I'm putting a lot of thought in aquascaping this tank and what fish to put in it. I've been admiring discus lately along with Bolivian rams.

Nice well when u start setting up the 55g lemme know and make a thread. Id like to see the build.

Back
Top Bottom