New Food Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YeZoKi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1488135661359.jpg The foods in the picture are the foods I currently give my bettas! I give them a mix of the pellets daily, and I give them bloodworms once every two weeks. I am looking to change up their diet to something more healthy for them. I already know that I will be cutting out the Aqueon pellets for sure. I have been looking into the Hikari brand of foods and plan on replacing my Omega One pellets with the Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets; I also plan on replacing the Tetra bloodworms with the Hikari brand as well. I would like to incorporate brine shrimp into their diet as well, but I'm not sure which brand I should go with. The brine shrimp in the Hikari brand come in cubes, and when I did some research, I found that Bettas aren't particularly fond of cubes. I'm sure I could easily just break the cubes apart for my boys, but i wanted to ask if anyone here had any suggestions of a safe brand to use that isn't cubed. So, if anyone has ANY suggestions, whether about the brine shrimp or about their diet in general, I would love to hear them!! Please and thank you! ?

I don't use Freeze Dried as it seems to cause blockages in some fish.

I like Omega One. Good ingredients.

I use frozen bloodworms. Pellets and Omega One Color Flakes.

Well if I were u I would give my betta hikari betta bio and blood worms. I guess that is more than enough but if u do want to give brine shrimps than look for other brands which are not sold as cubes. As a substitute to brine shrimps u can use freez dried krill. U can crush it for ur betta. Krill has the most proteine possible I believe. But all those should be given as a treat and stick to hikari bette bio. And Tetra blood worms are perfect btw.

I use the cubes, and I just cut them into pieces and put the unused portions in the freezer for next time. My community tank loves them, but I've also been giving them to my friend's betta who absolutely adores brine shrimp and bloodworms.
Frozen may seem like a hassle, but it's worth it. They get more nutrition and seem to like it quite a bit. I usually defrost them in a small cup of purified water, and then feed them with bamboo reptile feeding tweezers I found at a chain petstore (one of the best purchases, I love those tweezers).
You could always use the freeze dried stuff, but I'd recommend frozen.

I don't use Freeze Dried as it seems to cause blockages in some fish.

I like Omega One. Good ingredients.

I use frozen bloodworms. Pellets and Omega One Color Flakes.
Thank you! Yeah, I had read about the possibility of blockage which I why I only give them the fd bloodworms only once every two weeks. I also plan on adding a fasting day each week to help with the blockage! ?

Well if I were u I would give my betta hikari betta bio and blood worms. I guess that is more than enough but if u do want to give brine shrimps than look for other brands which are not sold as cubes. As a substitute to brine shrimps u can use freez dried krill. U can crush it for ur betta. Krill has the most proteine possible I believe. But all those should be given as a treat and stick to hikari bette bio. And Tetra blood worms are perfect btw.
I'm definitely adding in the Hikari pellets, and most likely the bloodworms from thay brand too! I mostly want to add brine shrimp because one of my bettas isn't too fond of bloodworms. (He acts very reluctant to each them, and I've tried two different brands thinking that may be the problem.) I want him to have something other than pellets in his diet. I have read briefly about krill! I will look into it more and see what my boys prefer! Thank you!! ?

I use the cubes, and I just cut them into pieces and put the unused portions in the freezer for next time. My community tank loves them, but I've also been giving them to my friend's betta who absolutely adores brine shrimp and bloodworms.
Frozen may seem like a hassle, but it's worth it. They get more nutrition and seem to like it quite a bit. I usually defrost them in a small cup of purified water, and then feed them with bamboo reptile feeding tweezers I found at a chain petstore (one of the best purchases, I love those tweezers).
You could always use the freeze dried stuff, but I'd recommend frozen.
I will definitely look into the frozen! I have always just used fd because it was what was available at my pet stores, but I will look further into the frozen! Thank you! ?

UPDATE: I introduced the Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets to my boys today, and they ADORED them!! I haven't been able to buy the Hikari bloodworms yet, but I will update when I do! I am also still looking into whether I want to introduce brine shrimp or krill into their diets next! ?

Back
Top Bottom