New gbrs for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe5688

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I talked the gf into letting me get more fish lol. I told her we could get a boy and girl and that it can be a fish version of us lol. If they mate one day it can be a sign of us bent to be haha.

Here are Jim and Pam (the office is our favorite show)

I'm hoping I got a boy and girl but I couldn't tell at the store

ForumRunner_20120309_214622.jpg

ForumRunner_20120309_214704.jpg

Don't forget you're talking about cichlids here.
They occasionally kill each other... lol! :D

Hope you managed a pair. You should post some closeup pictures for sexing.

I'll try to get some but since they are new they are skittish.

Its a 100g long tank they should have plenty of room to get away from each other lol

They look great! I love the names too! You have awesome taste in TV :D

George9 said:
They look great! I love the names too! You have awesome taste in TV :D

Haha thanks its kind of me and my gfs thing. I have a Dvr that records all of the episodes and we are watching every episode.

Here is a close up of the one I think is male.

ForumRunner_20120309_232910.jpg

ForumRunner_20120309_232928.jpg

Well Pam died today so going to the store to get a new one.

Are gbrs hard to acclimate to new tanks? I drip acclimated them

GTFCTIM said:
Is the new one going to be called Karen?

Haha yeah!! Name it Karen :)

They are nit hard to acclimate, but are super sensitive to small changes in the water.

males usually have glittery spots throughout the black spot on their body

females usually only have partial

+
females have a pinkish/purplish belly, i saw 1 of yours in the pic like that

Got home today and both are dead. Water params are perfect. I'm going to return them and get something else. Anyone have suggestions for a pair of mating fish? Check out my signature for my community stocking

sorry about that:(

thats to be expected with them:(

they are so inbred, and very unhealthy, meaning they die very quickly

Bolivian Rams on the other hand are great fish to breed, they protect the eggs, and raise them unlike GBRs:)

good luck, or you could try angels:D

****.... I got a male and female 2 days ago.... Now Im scared to find them floating. My LFS only has a 24hr return policy too. They are awesome to watch though

Joe5688 said:
i have 3 angels lol. Just marble ones that aren't that pretty. I'll check into Bolivans

Lots of lfs carry bad stock and the gbrs generally are not the best. I'd find a local breeder, or find one online somewhere and buy it there, they are a lot healthier and maybe even hardier.

Dont know if you mentioned, but how old is this tank? Gbrs do better in older established tanks

Just thought id jump in i have electric blue rams and they look awesome and are pretty hardy in comparrison to other rams thyre both boys though wouldnt mind a female

Yeah I saw them too but they were a bit more expensive.

My tank is about 4 months old. My water params never change. I test weekly. My lfs asked me id I had a new tank it tested sowell lol.

Back
Top Bottom