new ghost tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knightnurse14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.
I moved 2" of substrate and 10 gallons of water from my 75 gallon community tank into a new 29 gallon tank. I did it so I could move my ghost shrimp into the new tank and they formally hid all the time to keep from getting eaten.
The new tank has a hot Aqueon filter, a heater set on 76 gallons and an 8,000K Full Spectrum Daylight 17 Watt T8 24 inch flourescent bulb.
What I am wondering is if this tank will cycle since I moved over plenty of established gravel substrate.
I am wondering if I I need to do daily 10% water changes for the first couple of weeks to protect the little ghosties "Right now they seem fine"
Also wondering what kind of live plants I can easily keep in this tank since ghost shrimp like live plants. I have never kept a planted tank but seem to have read that Java Fern is easy to keep.
Thanks in advance
don elder

shrimp have literally no bioload,you would need a lot to keep the bactiria alive,how many do you have?

ghost shrimp?? I know someone will prob disagree but there's no need to cycle a tank if its going to be for STRICTLY ghost shrimp...they are suprisingly hardy.when I did a pwc on my 20g I used the outgoing water to partially fill a 10g, tossed the shrinp in there and that was over a month ago...they are doing perfectly ok in there..

I put about 15 ghost shrimp in the tank. Do I need to put in a few Otoclinus or something to feed the bacteria bed in the tank?
Oh thanks for the replies, I'm really feeling like a acted a little rashly!

i think the ottos would be good,but need a fairly well established tank.

The water doesn't help anything but it's good that you transfered some substrate. It will not mean your levels are ready to go now but you may have shaved off a few days before bacteria levels are good.

Back
Top Bottom