New glofish (zebra danios)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puggle88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Iowa USA land of the corn, beans, and cows oh my!
I just bought 3 new glofish at petsmart and they were out of the electric green color and all the purple ones were really big. I want to get those colors but petsmart wont get em for a while. And i was wondering if i went to another petsmart or a petco if glofish get along with other glofish if i buy them from seperate stores?

They should be fine, but sometimes when there is a little one then the school might pick on it.

Puggle88 said:
I just bought 3 new glofish at petsmart and they were out of the electric green color and all the purple ones were really big. I want to get those colors but petsmart wont get em for a while. And i was wondering if i went to another petsmart or a petco if glofish get along with other glofish if i buy them from seperate stores?

No reason they wouldn't.

I agree that they should get along. Schooling fish do not need to be rasied together to school, so no worries. Maxwell is right that sometimes a smaller fish can get picked on a little, but with danios it shouldn't be any big deal if it does happen.

Ok cool. Ya they are all pretty small except for the blue one but he is a little chicken. Lol.
Ya I'm Gunna get pics. The fishies are so fast though. Then I have to figure out how to upload em. Taking em with my iPhone is usually the Easiest way.

Zebra danios/Glo fish need to be kept in schools of atleast 6 and in tanks about 30" long or so. That is something like a 20 long or a 29 gal. That looks like a 5 gal which absolutely will not work for danios. They will be stunted if you keep them in there and/or get TB and end up with a hunchback look.

Ya its a 5 gallon. I dont really have any room in my house for a big tank. And I need to focus on saving for college. im not getting a 50 gallon tank till im done with high school and college. That will be about 9 or so years. that way I'll have the time and money to take care of a big tank.

And someone needs to tell the company of glofish to stop selling starter kits for only 2.5 gallons. And the petsmart and petco people said they would be just fine in a 5 gallon.

I got pics of the fish now too

Attachments

• image-3905065120.jpg
    image-3905065120.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3420467075.jpg
    image-3420467075.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-3790382991.jpg
    image-3790382991.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 87
  • image-50664340.jpg
    image-50664340.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2367864016.jpg
    image-2367864016.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3571824496.jpg
    image-3571824496.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 76
They are very bright little guys. But, unfortunately, I do agree with siva. Glofish are modified zebra danios and they are very active fish who really benefit from horizontal swimming room. I would never recommend them for anything less than a 20 long. If you want to try to caution them in a 5g tank long term, I do caution you that IMO it isn't likely they will reach their full lifespans.
If you want to keep them in there, good luck. If you want to try a different fish that will probably live longer and be healthier in a 5g tank, there are some really cool, colorful nano fish out there like ember tetras and chili rasboras. :)

I'm all for college taking priority over fish! Taking the Glo fish back and restocking the tank with something that can grow to it's full size and, live to it's full lifespan while in a tank that size, would be best. Those Glo fish starter kits disgust me, much like (but maybe even worse than) the tiny betta kits they sell. Very active schoolers like Glo/Danios are probably one of the worst choices for a tank that small.

The tank does look really cute and would be a great home for a school of nano fish. Also if you add a heater, it would work for a betta. :)

Oh yikes. Ablino cories are one of the larger types, they get about 3" and are pretty active. They need about 29 gals or larger. I don't have a Petsmart, only a Petco, but they take returns within 30 days and will take fish and adopt them out for you if you need help with them beyond the 30 day mark. Or ask at the school..that sounds like it could be a great option. :)

Funny story, I got one of each color glofish and the electric green and purple one both died for some reason. So I waited a couple weeks and got another purple and another green and they both died as well. The orange, blue, and red one are doing great! I just thought it was interesting that you were looking for the same colors :)

Turn it into a shrimp tank. They're about the only things that will thrive in a 5 gallon. A bunch of red cherry shrimp will be interesting.

Haha that is weird with the glofish. Ya petsmart says i could take em back within 14 days and they said the fish are fine in a 5 gallon. Im not gunna get anymore since i only have a 5 gallon and everyone says thats is way to small. I don't want unhappy fish. Idk of the library fish would be compatible with glofish since they have these big shark looking fish in there. Silver sharks or something.

And I have had my albino Corey's for quite some time. They are still small and are only about an inch and a half long. They seem to do just fine.

And like I said if I could I would totally get a 50 gallon tank now. But I wanna wait till I am done with college and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom