Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New goldfish tank

Tomorrow I want to get a small tank for my goldfish and maybe get another one while I'm there. What size tank should I get? Also do I need a filter or will an air stone do?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorkevin View Post
Tomorrow I want to get a small tank for my goldfish and maybe get another one while I'm there. What size tank should I get? Also do I need a filter or will an air stone do?

Hi, generally goldfish need big tanks. If you have one common goldfish, it will need AT LEAST a 30 gallon and about 10-20 gallons more for each additional goldfish.

Goldfish are messy. YOU NEED A FILTER! Get a filter with a high GPH (gallons per hour). If you get a 30 (I would highly recommend it) you would get a filter with 300 GPH and because goldfish are messy, I would get more!

Bubble stones are not needed but HIGHLY recommended because goldfish require HUGE amounts of oxygen. Just make sure that the surface of the water is always moving and is agitated.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask, or PM me! I have a goldfish, so I can give you a lot of advice! Lol

Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the info. I must admit I was shocked for the size of tank needed! I thought 10 gallon or smaller would be ok. Just goes to show
Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

If you are keeping him in 10 gallon temporarily, he's fine. But in the long run, goldfish get big (common goldfish can get over a foot long) and need big tanks with ALOT of filtration. If you would like to keep goldfish, I would suggest looking on craigslist for a 30+ gallon tank if you need any more advice, please feel free to ask
Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is a fantail goldfish. I don't buy anything from the internet

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com