New guy, lol. White particles in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mokrytzki

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there. I recently upgraded my freshwater tank from a 30g to a 80g. I transferred the water and filled with fresh treated water. That was one week ago. Yesterday I purchased a eheim 2028 used from a local ad. I cleaned the filter and replaced the filter floss. Ever since there has been small white dust like particles floating around. My question - what are these particles and why does my filter not pick them up? Thanks in advance. I was using a fluval 206 on my 30g and it work great.

Have you looked to see if there are any gaps in your white filter floss? Are you running both the 206 and the 2028 on the 80? 2028 seems under powered for an 80g on its own

The eheim might not be doing a very good job at polishing the water.

I have taken the 206 off the aquarium it is only rated for 35 gallons. The eheim 2028 is actually rated for 158 gallons so it should be more than enough for my 80 gallon. And no there is no gaps that I know of I just took the entire filter apart and put it all back together again.

Im sorry, i was confusing the pro2 and pro3 and thought the 2028 was a small pro2. Its better than i thought but id still run another filter with it on a 80 gallon.

So I added my fluval 206 to the tank and now run both filters. The eheim 2028 is filled with bio filtration and the 206 is strictly mechanical. The particles I think I have narrowed down. The appears once I started using and upstairs faucet instead of the basement. The basement tap is the first tap on the water line. I poured a glass of water from the upstairs faucet and voila, there were the particles. The particles are calcium buildup inside my pipes. My house is 20 years old and have copper pipes. From now on I'll quit being lazy and carry my water upstairs for my water changes.

Back
Top Bottom