New Help my Nitrate is high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amskater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just tested my water and here are the results

Nirate was between 40 - 80
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Highrange Ph 7.6
Ph 7.6

what should I do

I tested it like 2 weeks ago and did the 50 percent water change and added Amquel+ everyday like it said to on the bottle to bring it down and I went though the whole bottle and it has not come down much and I have t 2 small Ballas, 2 Pictus Catfish, and 1 small sucker fish

do another water change. Whenever my nitrates get high, i just do a 25-30% water change, and that usually does the trick. I never use any sorts of chemicals to adjust any of the levels of anything in my tank. I don't even use chemicals to treat ich, when it happens (salt+ heat is much more effective).

If I were you I would just do a 50-75% water change tomorrow, and everything should return to normal for while after that.

ok ill do another 50 percent water change how does everything else look?

I would do several water changes over the past few days to get the level down in the low range (10 ppm). What is the size of the tank?

it is a 29 Gallon im about to do a 50 to 75 percent water change after that should I do any more water changes this week?

Test the levels again. I am sure will have to do another one. You can do 2 a day if you want as long as the water is the correct temp and PH.

Other parameters are doing fine. High nitrates are usually a sign of over feeding. How often are you feeding the fish? You may have to reduce the amount of the feedings not necessarily the frequency as well as water changes over the next few days. Have you tested your nitrates out of the tap?

I was told to feed the fish 2 times a day and I am about to test the Nirate in my tap water

Twice a day is good but only as much as they will eat in a minute or so. No longer as the food will sink to the substrate and remain there. This will increase nitrates.

ok I got you here are the test I just did for Nirates

Tap water was 10 - 20
treated tap was was 5 - 10 the treated water has been sitting over night treated with Chlor out

is there anything I can put in the tap water before I put it in the tank?

Tap water should always be de-chlorinated before being added to the tank. The Amquel+ will accomplish that for you. When doing water changes...I usually add Amquel+ to the tap water, mix it up a bit, and then add that water to the tank.

Since your tap water's nitrates are high, then you might want to consider getting some live plants. Something like anacharis is very easy to grow, and will help consume some of the nitrates. Do you have any live plants right now?
Also, as Zagz said, uneaten food will increase nitrates...so making sure to not overfeed will help to slow down the nitrate build-up.

I'm not sure about the daily addition of Amquel+. I guess you're doing that because of the nitrates, but that shouldn't be necessary and will become quite expensive.

Good luck!

I did de-chlorinated the water before I put it in and I dont have any real plants yet but the fish I have will eat live plants. and another qustion is I was also told I can feed my fish some sliced zucchini, and romaine lettuce and if I do that does it have to be in the bottom of the tank and I was wondering if the uneatan veggies will still increase the nitrates?

Back
Top Bottom