new idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I got a new idea!!! I can never make up my mind but I gotta know in like 2 weeks what I am going to get!!! I thought about what people said and decided this:

5-7 neon tetras(how many males and females do I need for these)
4 platies(1 male 3 females)
2 gouramis(either dwarf-have heard that females are hard to find- or gold or blue(a pair because I have seen both male and female in these last two).

that's it folks! Hope it sounds good because I will have to rethink my plan....AGAIN!!!..lol

thanks!

Sounds great. Just realize that in 6 months you will have 20 platies with more on the way : (

Looks like a good plan. You don't have to worry about sexing the neons. How big is your tank? I don't remember. Just asking because the gold or blue gouramis can get fairly large. You may only want to get one if you go with the larger type gouramis.

I have a 29 gal. I am going to TRY to get a pair of dwarfs but if I can't find a female then I will go with the blue gourami.

With the gouramis I hope to cut down on the fry. Also I noticed that they kind of eat the food off the bottom so I'm not gonna worry about getting a cleaner fish.

Also I am going to get a Q tank. The Q tank will have filter, heater and will be 6-10 gallons. Haven't bought one yet. I thought to buy the four platies to cycle. Then to put the neons in my Q tank for 3 weeks. Then I will get my gouramis. This sound ok?

Note on the gouramis: Blues and golds can be very aggressive toward their own kind, especially males, and especially in close quarters. I think you will have trouble in a 29 if you go with a pair. I would advise only getting one, or getting two females. A m/f or m/m pair is likely to end up causing problems in a small tank. (even though mine are still fairly small, and have a 55 to play in, I am starting to think my blue is actually a male, and he is becomming more and more aggressive toward my little female gold)

oooooooo..but the dwarf pair will not do that? if they do I will only get one gourami.

The dwarves probably will as well, unless you find a female. I think one gold would make a nice center piece. If want two try pearl gouramis they are far more peaceful.

pearl gourmi pair or just one? I haven't seen one of those at my LFS but I shall look.

I had aggression when I tried to have two dwarf gouramis in a single tank. They were constantly sparring for territory, and one always ended up being a bully.

However, I now have one dwarf (flame) and one non-dwarf (gold) gourami in the tank, and they don't even seem to notice each other. Not sure if this is usual or not, but it works for me.

You should be able to do two pearl gouramis. They are far more peaceful that the blues and golds. You should be able to find them they are pretty common.

Today I went to my LFS and they only have flame gouramis so I guess I'll only get one flame gourami. Thanks!

I got 2 flame red dwarf gouramis, both male, and they do just fine in my 26G. I got lots of plastic plants, as well as 2 pieces of driftwood, one being almost covered in java moss. So there's lots of good hiding and areas to make their territories.

Lonewolfblue said:
I got 2 flame red dwarf gouramis, both male, and they do just fine in my 26G. I got lots of plastic plants, as well as 2 pieces of driftwood, one being almost covered in java moss. So there's lots of good hiding and areas to make their territories.

I'll second that, I have 4 in my 55 with no problems.

I have a pair of dwarf gouramis (m f) and the male is quite mean to the female. Well, he doesnt hurt her, just chases her. Showing off i think!:p LOL Just trying to say that even a m f pair will not neccasarily be peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom