New/ish tank mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deedz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had cycled a 36 bow front for a few weeks or so, fishless. Four days ago I rescaped the tank, replaced the gravel with sand and added a large piece of Malaysian drift wood. I DID NOT clean the tank before the rescape, in fact I left some of the sediment that gathered on the very bottom of the tank originally and just poured the new sand over it. I also took an established filter from my 30 gal along with a few smaller cultures on polyfiber pads that I normally keep inside of my HOB filter (these are at least 4-6 weeks old) and added those to the newly scaped tank filter. The thing is, I've had zero fluctuation in parameters. The current readings are 7.6 pH holding steady, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate at four days. I figured I would have seen the ammonia begin to rise at least a fraction like a new tank or a rise in nitrates but both are still at 0. If there hasn't been a spike/change in parameters by the 7th day should I assume this tank fully cycled? Any thoughts? Almost forgot, I seeded the tank as well with API's stress zyme and test regularly with API's master test kit.

Some back story: I have two tanks currently. A six month old 30 and the 36 bow front that I've had for the past year and a half. The 30 is probably among the cleanest tanks I've ever seen (I'm pretty religious about tank cleanliness and fish health). The established 30 gal houses 15 fish currently, the largest of which is a 3.5 in. Jurupari and all are extremely healthy, thriving, active and very communal.

Do you have fish in new tank scape?
Without a source of ammonia the parameters may not change at all?
Does your other tank run with super low nitrates?

I missed this part as well, did you add fish? Are you feeding the tank? I would not be concerned with Am and trite , those you are not really supposed to see if everything is right, but some nitrate should be there.

Unlikely - how old is your test kit? My old kit was showing 0 f everything while still few month from printed expiration date.

I added about a dozen tiny green tetras and five ghost shrimp last night before I posted. The established tank from which I pulled the filter and polyfiber pads registered 40ppm nitrates at the time of the filter swap. No, it doesn't usually run at low nitrate levels. My test kit is pretty new. Not even a year old.

Back
Top Bottom