New Life Spectrum pellets question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigzmey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Once you open New Life Spectrum pellets jar how long do you use it? Two months - half a year?

From my experience flakes get spoiled pretty fast once you open the jar. So I use an open jar for ~two months and then open a fresh one.

Problem is that New Life Spectrum is pricey and does not come in small sizes, so I will be throwing most of it away if I follow 2 months rule.

It depends on what and how many you are feeding. You can always store excess food in a freezer. If you think the quantity is high, pour half into a freezer safe container or vacuum seal it and put that half into the freezer while you use the remaining half. Just a thought.

While I doubt it'll spoil, here's what I do with my food that I wont be using for a while...

img_1566130_0_b9874cb9ae016c33f671a02af424782a.jpg

So, in your personal experience how log pellets in an open jar would stay fresh if you feed daily or every other day?

Probably well over a year. I've had some from those small pet store containers that lasted a year + before refilling them. Just keep it in the dark and keep it in a cool place. I have a year old 5lb tub in my garage that smells and looks the same as it did when I first got it.

Probably well over a year. I've had some from those small pet store containers that lasted a year + before refilling them. Just keep it in the dark and keep it in a cool place. I have a year old 5lb tub in my garage that smells and looks the same as it did when I first got it.

and the fish still eat them after a year? :)

FYI Here is the response which I got from New Life Spectrum

Thank you for your email. Any product will start to break down as soon as the original seal is broken, and the first thing to start to “disappear” will be the vitamin levels. I would say to get the best from the food, you should be looking to finish the pot within 6 months. But this is only if you want the very best from it. As long as the food is kept away from moisture it will be safe to feed your fish for around 12-18 months.

Back
Top Bottom