New Light/CO2 Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So im thinking of changing my light and co2 cycle to 6 on, 6 off, 6 on, 6 off.

Im hoping that will allow more CO2 to be in the tank (keep the drop checker light green), thus stopping my plants from turning brown.

Right now we have it at a straight 12 hour on, 12 hour off cycle, but the drop checker doesnt get green til over halfway through the day.

If we do 6 on, 6 off, 6 on, 6 off again, do you think this will solve the issue...

I believe the co2 should be coming on a couple hours before the lights and off an hour before the lights go off. The 6,6,6,6 plan sounds like an algae farm to me

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I believe the co2 should be coming on a couple hours before the lights and off an hour before the lights go off. The 6,6,6,6 plan sounds like an algae farm to me

Forgot to mention, CO2 on an hour before the lights come on, and off an hour before the lights go off.

Im trying to figure out what to do, my Aponogeton Ulvaceus is browning, and so are my DBTs which leads me to believe they need more light, and more CO2.

The issue is the co2 levels don't get to the proper level until halfway through the light/co2 cycle, which means overnight the drop checker goes back to blue and takes forever to get back to green during the day.

As far as the plants go it may just be them adjusting to the new setting. I'm having the same problem with my dwarf hair grass. I'm fairly new to planted so I'm just telling what I have been told

As far as the plants go it may just be them adjusting to the new setting. I'm having the same problem with my dwarf hair grass. I'm fairly new to planted so I'm just telling what I have been told

10-4 me as well. I just want answers so I can nip the problem in the bud if need be and stop it from getting worse.

Can you tell us more about your tank? Height from substrate, lights, ferts, substrate, plants, etc. Have you seen any pearling in your plants? How long ago did you plant the HC?

Sent from my iPad using science

Can you tell us more about your tank? Height from substrate, lights, ferts, substrate, plants, etc. Have you seen any pearling in your plants? How long ago did you plant the HC?

Sent from my iPad using science

Tank is 20 in tall. I have about 2-2.5 in of eco complete in their now (may add another 20lb bag at WC) I have 4 of the LED panels that come with the BIO Wheel Aquarium Kits (Got 2 due to a cracked tank so I am using all 4 lights) description on them is here under lighting specification, halfway down that page. I use Flourish, Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron. I have 2 java ferns, 1 amazon swoard, 1 aqua fern, 1 aponogeton ulvaceus and 2 DBTs with more to come im sure. Not sure what you mean by pearling, or what HC means.

Move the drop checker to another area of the tank. I noticed in a picture you have it pretty high up, bring it down a few inches above the substrate.

Are you using root tabs for the swords? The liquid ferts won't help them, they're root feeders. You may also want to work on adjusting your co2 if the drop checker is taking forever to turn green. As for plants going brown, it's common for newly planted plants to go through an adjustment period of wilting away and growing back. Cut the problem leaves off and give them some time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Move the drop checker to another area of the tank. I noticed in a picture you have it pretty high up, bring it down a few inches above the substrate.

Are you using root tabs for the swords? The liquid ferts won't help them, they're root feeders. You may also want to work on adjusting your co2 if the drop checker is taking forever to turn green. As for plants going brown, it's common for newly planted plants to go through an adjustment period of wilting away and growing back. Cut the problem leaves off and give them some time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I put the drop checker just two inches below the water surface, per the instructions it came with. Maybe I will put it lower and see what happens. I have root tabs under every plant in the tank, yes. I have been upping co2 levels a little bit each day by increasing BPS in the bubble counter.
With regards to the browning, i wouldnt say its enough yet to warrant cutting a leaf off, but if it does I will keep that in mind!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom