New member - algae issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamagrama58

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi and I'm glad I found you. I have a 45 gallon fresh water tank. I've have it for 4 years. I've had everything from green algae which I finally got under control. Now I have brown algae growing on the rocks and side of tank. I only have 12 small fish in the tank and feed them once a day just enough so that it's gone in about 15 seconds. I scrape the glass almost everyday and it seems to just keep coming back. I got a moss ball, changed the light, do water changes once a week. My nitrates are under control also. What am i doing wrong??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and I'm glad I found you. I have a 45 gallon fresh water tank. I've have it for 4 years. I've had everything from green algae which I finally got under control. Now I have brown algae growing on the rocks and side of tank. I only have 12 small fish in the tank and feed them once a day just enough so that it's gone in about 15 seconds. I scrape the glass almost everyday and it seems to just keep coming back. I got a moss ball, changed the light, do water changes once a week. My nitrates are under control also. What am i doing wrong??

Man try this product , its like magic, in 5 days all algae will vanish.

Attachments

• image-3134881964.jpg
    image-3134881964.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to AA!
I have moved your thread to general discussion.

The product above may have worked for that member but chemicals like that can be dangerous to an aquarium. Please do not use them.

Is the algae like a brown dust/covering over the glass, substrate and decor? If so it sounds like diatoms. They usually occur in newly setup tanks or after adding sand as a substrate. They usually burn themselves out. They can occur in established tanks. How long is your light on each day and what is it? What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the tank? Algae issues can usually be cured with tweaking of lighting, fertilization and water change schedule.

Last edited:
And this product are very effective..try it man in a small jar or anything with some algae from your tank and also put in it a feeder fish or guppy fry...and you will see the result.

No one is saying the product doesn't work but as I posted in your thread algae killing chemical products are not recommended for use in tanks. If you balance your tank by keeping nutrients at proper levels, run lighting for an appropriate time, etc., you don't have algae issues and you don't need to use dangerous products. The algae will come back if the issues within the tank causing the algae in the first place aren't addressed. So what, then you keep using the chemicals over and over when all you need to do is correct the problem in the tank in the first place. I've been keeping tanks since the 70's so I'm pretty well versed in this.

OP, how long do you run your lights? When you have an algae issue running your lights 6 hours max is recommended. The other option many people swear by is running your lights with a siesta period. Meaning run them 3-4 hours, lights off for 2 minimum, then lights back on for another 3-4 hours.

Do you know your nitrate and possibly phosphate levels? Then as Mumma said if it's a new tank the brown algae is diatoms which will run their course and go away as soon as they use up the excess silicates in the water. Can you post a picture so we can identify the type of algae you have?

Back
Top Bottom