New Parrot Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a parrot fish for my 36 gallon bow front. He's pretty small right now but all he does is hide. Is this because he is new to the tank or are they naturally shy?

Dear Tipton34,

I think (imo) parrot fishes tend to be shy. Mine is. In a year he's gotten braver and swims openly when he thinks no one is watching him. He comes out to greet me, but if there are new people...back in his hidey hole...
Chris

Mine hardly came out at all yesterday, even when no one was around. He came out today but as soon as i got close he went and hid

A single BP will be extremely shy, possibly for months, before you're able to really connect with him. I found that by sitting right next to the tank and just talking to mine, they came around much more quickly. But don't make any movements towards the tank when you do this.

What else do you have in this tank?

I have two baby angelfish, a killifish, two boesemani rainbowfish, two clown loaches, and a peacock eel. Everything is small right now, but i have a larger tank for those that get too big.

You're going to need a HUGE tank for those species..... :lol:

Your tank is severely overstocked, you know that?

Ya i know. The clown loaches grow very slowly so ill be good for awhile.

Even though the fish don't yet have their adult size doesn't mean you can safely keep them in a too small environment. They will begin to suffer stunted growth. If you're not planning on upgrading to probably 150 gallon tank in the near future, you should really rehome the loaches. Personally, I wouldn't keep the angels either in anything less than a 46.

It's just not fair to the fish to cramp them, even when young.

If you knew you were already overstocked, why did you get the parrot?

To get the BP to be less shy, just start out sitting near the tank (as Lynda said) and always walk up slowly to the tank whenever walking by it. Trying sitting by the tank for ten or so minutes before feeding and gradually move into lots of interactions with the fish (being around the tank and such). He will definitely warm up to you. It took about a month for me to get my old flowerhorn to get completely used to me. He got the point where I could hand feed him and he would help me clean his tank on the weekends. From what I have read, BPs and flowerhorns have similar personalities. I'm sure if you did a quick search, you could find other techniques too.

Maybe the loaches or angels or some other fish are bugging him too, which makes him retreat. So, just watch their interactions too. They may not, but it always helps to know how your fish are working together.

Personally I don't think they suffer from growing to the size of the tank. It happens, and they can't control it nor feel it. They just doing grow as big

The alleged result of stunted growth is that the insides of the fish continue to grow but the outside does not. I'm sorry I can't explain it in technical terms. Basically, the fish dies an early and unnecessary death and I can't imagine it's not painful.

The other fish don't bother him at all! I've been doing my homework in front of the tank and as long as I don't make any sudden movements then he will come out!

My parrot fish took about 3 months to come out of his shell but now he's active all the time, he interacts with people and our new kitten whenever he approaches the tank!

Back
Top Bottom