Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question New Parrot fish??

I had 2 hand sized Blood Parrot Fish. One of them passed away. I want to get another one but the larger ones are $25 at Petsmart. I don't want to spend that much money on a fish. The 2 were best friends and the one left is depressed. I want to get a smaller one but I don't know if they will fight or not. Is it ok to get a small one? They are about the size of a golf ball or maybe a little bigger.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How big is your tank?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

60 gallons
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say 60g is passable and is a cute size for 2 blood parrot fish.
Most would probably say larger is needed, but they would also say turn your whole house into a tank for 1 blood parrot and you sleep on the outside lawn.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Its sad when you lose a much loved fish, and even sadder when your fish realise their buddy is gone.

As far as compatibility goes, its not easy to say. Every fish has a different personality.
I've seen peaceful fish attack aggressive fish, and I've also seen small fish attack large fish.

To minimize the aggression, similar size is preferred. But if you think your blood parrot is not aggressive, (as it got along with its previous buddy nicely, and even seems depressed now being alone) you can try. Just ask the local fish store if they fight can you return for a larger size.

Can you remember if your previous parrot was a male or female? Try buy the same if possible.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I never could tell which was which. I just knew I had one male and one female. I knew because they would lay eggs and do the "breeding dance."

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go to the store Friday and I'll get one. Thank you again!

Tags
fish, rot, parrot, parrot fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com