New Parrot fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTIV02

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had 2 hand sized Blood Parrot Fish. One of them passed away. I want to get another one but the larger ones are $25 at Petsmart. I don't want to spend that much money on a fish. The 2 were best friends and the one left is depressed. I want to get a smaller one but I don't know if they will fight or not. Is it ok to get a small one? They are about the size of a golf ball or maybe a little bigger.

I would say 60g is passable and is a cute size for 2 blood parrot fish.
Most would probably say larger is needed, but they would also say turn your whole house into a tank for 1 blood parrot and you sleep on the outside lawn.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Its sad when you lose a much loved fish, and even sadder when your fish realise their buddy is gone.

As far as compatibility goes, its not easy to say. Every fish has a different personality.
I've seen peaceful fish attack aggressive fish, and I've also seen small fish attack large fish.

To minimize the aggression, similar size is preferred. But if you think your blood parrot is not aggressive, (as it got along with its previous buddy nicely, and even seems depressed now being alone) you can try. Just ask the local fish store if they fight can you return for a larger size.

Can you remember if your previous parrot was a male or female? Try buy the same if possible.

I never could tell which was which. I just knew I had one male and one female. I knew because they would lay eggs and do the "breeding dance."

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go to the store Friday and I'll get one. Thank you again! :)

Back
Top Bottom