Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Peacock Eels usually hide constantly. The smaller spiney eels are all like this. You'll see him when you rearrange your decorations and possibly if you use a moonlight and watch the tank late at night.
Yeah, I saw him last night for about 30 minutes! I have yet to see him eat but I've heard this is normal for a while?
__________________

__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Wilson View Post
before mine jumped out of the tank i could feed them (i've had 2) both earthworms, cut into about 1 inch long pieces, by hand. it took both of mine 4-5 days before i seen them and then another 3-7 days after that before i seen them eat. I love the little buggers and i plan on getting another one eventually( bought an acrylic cover that i cut precisely around my HOB filter and tubings so there is no more than a 1/8 inch gap anywhere and that is all under my light fixture/lid

I did a lot of research before getting mine so any questions you have let me know I'll do my best
Awesome! Will do! Oh, do they prefer live worms or frozen when getting used to a new tank?
__________________

__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 925
Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Wilson View Post
before mine jumped out of the tank i could feed them (i've had 2) both earthworms, cut into about 1 inch long pieces, by hand. it took both of mine 4-5 days before i seen them and then another 3-7 days after that before i seen them eat. I love the little buggers and i plan on getting another one eventually( bought an acrylic cover that i cut precisely around my HOB filter and tubings so there is no more than a 1/8 inch gap anywhere and that is all under my light fixture/lid

I did a lot of research before getting mine so any questions you have let me know I'll do my best
A lot of it is luck when it comes to eels. In my 125g I made sure there were no gaps. I even went with two canister filters as they like to escape in the HOB cutouts. This just goes to show your never safe, well maybe with an overflow, that would probably be safe.

8.5" fire eel died while swimming up the outlet of my FX5.

__________________
125g - FX5 - CF500UV - Bichirs - Catfish - Clown Loaches - Oddballs

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 49
Yea that sucks, worst feeling too when you come home and can't find the little dude.

But mine always preferred live worms, but then i couldn't get him to eat frozen/freeze-dried anything. Even worms that he didn't notice quickly and didnt move when he attacked them he wouldn't eat
__________________
Mitch_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Wilson View Post
Yea that sucks, worst feeling too when you come home and can't find the little dude.

But mine always preferred live worms, but then i couldn't get him to eat frozen/freeze-dried anything. Even worms that he didn't notice quickly and didnt move when he attacked them he wouldn't eat
Hm, well ill have to go back to the LFS cuz I think I messed up my first batch of black worms. Are they suppose to be refrigerated?
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago-ish, IL
Posts: 49
they last longer in the fridge yes. Your eel may be different than mine though, even my two had very different personalities. Yours may be just fine eating the frozen black worms I was just providing context for what mine had done.

Also it is fairly easy to know when your earthworms are no longer any good because when you open the lid, the whole thing smells like a garbage dump.
__________________
Mitch_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Wilson View Post
they last longer in the fridge yes. Your eel may be different than mine though, even my two had very different personalities. Yours may be just fine eating the frozen black worms I was just providing context for what mine had done.

Also it is fairly easy to know when your earthworms are no longer any good because when you open the lid, the whole thing smells like a garbage dump.
Yeah I figured that out pretty quickly lol!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Does anyone know how to make my eel swim around during the day rather than at night? I don't have a night light on my lamp so I don't get to see him when/if he does come out!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 925
Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
You can't make your eel swim in the day. They are nocturnal.
__________________
125g - FX5 - CF500UV - Bichirs - Catfish - Clown Loaches - Oddballs

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
You can't make your eel swim in the day. They are nocturnal.
Haha thanks, I realize that now! I did a lot of researchn! Lol I feel stupid for that post!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 925
Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
No worries.. your best bet would be to add some moon lights. My new eel should be here sometime this week
__________________
125g - FX5 - CF500UV - Bichirs - Catfish - Clown Loaches - Oddballs

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
No worries.. your best bet would be to add some moon lights. My new eel should be here sometime this week
Yeah that's what I was gonna do this weekend but u think my BNP might have colmnaris! :,(
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 925
Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
What size tank do you have? I bought a 3 strip (56 LEDs) for like $50, it works great. This is an old pic, the brightness is adjustable as well, I keep it much dimmer than in this pic.

__________________
125g - FX5 - CF500UV - Bichirs - Catfish - Clown Loaches - Oddballs

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
What size tank do you have? I bought a 3 strip (56 LEDs) for like $50, it works great. This is an old pic, the brightness is adjustable as well, I keep it much dimmer than in this pic.
It's a 55! My hoods have hole that are much too big though, my eel could escape! I was planing on getting a different good and cutting the exact measurements around my filter, heater cord, and air pump hose. Then I was gonna get a rail with day and moon light! But yeah I'll check out the strip! I need to save some money lol!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 925
Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
I have had no luck with HOB's and eels. They always escape.
__________________
125g - FX5 - CF500UV - Bichirs - Catfish - Clown Loaches - Oddballs

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I have had no luck with HOB's and eels. They always escape.
What do you use instead? Oh and what does hob stand for? I've seen it around a lot and I've come to understand its a filter? Maybe? Lol
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Never mind, that was me being dumb again. Hob stands for hang on back? Correct?
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 925
Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
Yep, HOB stands for hang on back. I use canister filters now. HOB's are good, but not if you have eels or other fish that try to escape.
__________________
125g - FX5 - CF500UV - Bichirs - Catfish - Clown Loaches - Oddballs

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
RyanBenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Yep, HOB stands for hang on back. I use canister filters now. HOB's are good, but not if you have eels or other fish that try to escape.
So, do I have to drill any hole for a canister filter? Or how does that work because i kinda want to switch since the HOB filter kicks up sand And digs a whole when the water level starts droping!
__________________
RyanBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mudfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 925
Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
You would need a hole just large enough for the tubes. You don't have water moving around it so the hole can basically be the same size as the tube.
__________________

__________________
125g - FX5 - CF500UV - Bichirs - Catfish - Clown Loaches - Oddballs

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eel, peacock, peacock eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.