New plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if plants that you take from local waterways need to quarantined cause I was planning on taking some duckweed out of pond but I don't want to introduce a disease that's gonna kill off all my fish.

Using Local Plants

Hello Fish...

I'd pass on this idea. It sounds good and the plants may grow for a time. But the difference in the environments won't work long term. Duckweed isn't a good plant to get started in your tank. It grows too fast. You'll spend a lot of time removing it if it does get started.

B

I was wondering if plants that you take from local waterways need to quarantined cause I was planning on taking some duckweed out of pond but I don't want to introduce a disease that's gonna kill off all my fish.
I've been looking for some wild plants myself for quite a while. It can however come with some problems such as parasites and pests. In fact its very likely. It can be done though. I'd quarantine them for a while and maybe look into a bleach dip for them.

Duckweed is a great plant although its probably the single most annoying plant I've ever kept, especially in a heavily fertilized fast growing tank. It's a great food for plant eating fish as its very nutritious and it absorbs a lot of nutrients out of the water.

I've been looking for some wild plants myself for quite a while. It can however come with some problems such as parasites and pests. In fact its very likely. It can be done though. I'd quarantine them for a while and maybe look into a bleach dip for them.

Duckweed is a great plant although its probably the single most annoying plant I've ever kept, especially in a heavily fertilized fast growing tank. It's a great food for plant eating fish as its very nutritious and it absorbs a lot of nutrients out of the water.

I'm going to use it for cover for fry in guppy tank

I do both bleach dip and qt, I do crank up the heat a bit to race any leftover nasties to the grave.

Btw duckweed is the herpes of aquariums

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do both bleach dip and qt, I do crank up the heat a bit to race any leftover nasties to the grave.

Btw duckweed is the herpes of aquariums

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Just like glitter for the arts and crafts world? :)

Back
Top Bottom