New Pleco, please help ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
I took in a 10 gallon tank, I was told it only had an angelfish and I wanted it for my 55. But the angel died and when I got the tank it also had a pleco. It is about 4-5 inchs long. I don't figure this is some rare expensive pleco so I thought most of you guys could easily ID it.
img_2764249_0_0c96b2b66ef9ff714fcf5a1d2fefdef1.jpg

img_2764249_1_14fc90df8d70ce4d2dbfcf04ad35b529.jpg

img_2764249_2_537daf8fbd79903f34e84b5020641ce2.jpg

So hard to tell as its in such a bad condition the poor guy, glad you saved him and hope he recovers. Someone will know the species.

So hard to tell as its in such a bad condition the poor guy, glad you saved him and hope he recovers. Someone will know the species.

How can you tell he is in bad shape? Sorry I am only 8 months into the hobby.

The owner of this tank just up and left it with their roommate. Friends of friends knew it when I caught wind I took it up. Would have really liked to have the angelfish though but it died just yesterday.

It almost looks like a rhino pleco but whatever it is it's in terrible condition. I'd lean toward rhino pleco that lost his "horns" (or nostrils) or a very very bad shape common.

It almost looks like a rhino pleco but whatever it is it's in terrible condition. I'd lean toward rhino pleco that lost his "horns" (or nostrils) or a very very bad shape common.

Thanks, I had a very big common albino when I got my 55, he was rehomed. I leaned towards that at first but the pattern just doesn't look the same. I am guessing since he is in bad shape his color is off?

If it is a rhino, will the horns grow back? Most pics I am looking it show the top fin up, I have yet to see his up.

How can you tell he is in bad shape?

His fins are frayed, he appears pink in one of the pictures, his feces is white, he has no distinct pattern and just looks very rough in general. The be all and end all is hes been kept in a 10gallon for who knows how long, could be stunted and i imagine wouldnt of been recieveing much if any fresh water.

Last edited:
Thanks, I had a very big common albino when I got my 55, he was rehomed. I leaned towards that at first but the pattern just doesn't look the same. I am guessing since he is in bad shape his color is off?

If it is a rhino, will the horns grow back? Most pics I am looking it show the top fin up, I have yet to see his up.

How can you tell he is in bad shape?

Just the color looks terrible and general condition looks awful. If infact it is a rhino they should grow back but not to their full potential. And once he calms down and gets used to everything you'll probably catch him with his dorsal up. There's still the possibility it's a common, I know there's tons of different types of "commons" we call commons all with different patterns and stuff. I'd give it a while cause right now it's pretty challenging to tell. For me anyway.

HE must be a little happier. This little guy pooped more in 1 night than the albino common did in a week (he was also 13" long) and I could see the white but its gotten a darker green. Boy oh boy I forgot how much they poop! I got 5 juvie bristlenoses as well, but they are still so little you cant see it lol

Its just a common pleco that might have gotten a bit stunted. Doesnt look like a rhino.

Im sure he'll color up and heal over a couple of weeks with many water changes.

Congrats on the BNs, they grow slowly lol.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How many plecos do you have in your 55?

Well, 6 now, its a story how I got them all. I will be letting go of a few because I am SURE this is killing my bioload. Also I am upgrading to a 90 once the stand gets built.

I had a clown pleco, and I was battling some algae, clown plecos are pretty worthless at that and the point I never saw it he became pretty useless to me. I found a couple from a local club that was interested in the clown and was willing to trade me some bristlenose plecos. They breed fish, cichlids mainly but had a ton of juvie albino and brown bristles. She offered me 4 for the trade, I only wanted 2 really a male and a female, but I took what I could get. They were and still are about an inch or less in size, and its hard to sex them this small so hopefully I can grab a pair. When trade day came I ended up with 5. 1 of them was VERY small still, 2 albinos and 3 brown ones.

I just figured I will let them grow out take 2 or 3 that I want and trade the others later. By the way these guys are GREAT for algae even being this small my algae on my décor is pretty much gone, I always kept the glass clean.

Then my mom told me someone her and her boyfriends daughter knows was getting rid of a 10 gallon that had an angelfish in it. I thought GREAT I need another angel for my stocklist in my 90 and what the hay its FREE!! and a free 10 gallon with led hood and a bunch of goodies! Time came to pick up the tank, and guess what the angel died the night before. I did not know about this Pleco being in it, so I took it for the time being and got the tank. Now I find out how bad of shape he is in I have no choice but to try and get him back to looking better.

Honestly though, once hes looking good I will more than likely trade or sell him to someone wanting him.

So yes, this tank has a horrible bioload with 6 plecos, but I only have 1 angel, 5 rasboras, 2 german rams and 3 otos in with them at the moment. Glad I gave away 9 other fish just 2 weeks ago!

Good story, I dont usually adopt plecos since theyre always common haha.

However only 6 plecos in a 55...? Killing your bioload...? I have way more than that in a 40B, but I filter 600gph (sounds like overkill but its needed) and I use pothos vines.

You shouldnt worry about them killing your bioload as long as you over filter. Another lifesaver that will save you alot of trouble is using the vines... they keep the water pristine elminating your bio-load concerns lol.

Thanks I will look into those vines, I am going to a planted 90. This 55 was given to me, and with it came a Marineland Emperor 400. I am getting a Cascade 1500 for the 90 and plan on setting it up with the 55 to get some BB in it.

Thanks I will look into those vines, I am going to a planted 90. This 55 was given to me, and with it came a Marineland Emperor 400. I am getting a Cascade 1500 for the 90 and plan on setting it up with the 55 to get some BB in it.

Double checked and I do aprox. 750 gph. Planted is your best bet with bioload, but sometimes plants and plecs dont mix. The cascades are good filters, a few friends run them and they have nothing bad to say about them, however I personally have never bought one.

I would sump that 90 if at all possible. It will make ur life so much easier and increase the water volume in the system.

I would sump that 90 if at all possible. It will make ur life so much easier and increase the water volume in the system.

thanks for the advice, I don't know much about sumps, but I do have an extra 29, 40 long and will have this 55 empty. I will look into them, not sure for the purpose on a freshwater aquarium? I also have a 10 but am planning on a couple dwarf puffers

More water = more stability doesn't matter if it's fw or sw. Also makes wc's easier, I just drain water out of the sump each week and vacuum my substrate once a month. It is all live plants tho. Dwarf puffers are fun but 2 might fight in a 10 especially if they're both males

A little update. He is looking a lot better already. He has found himself a hiding place, and I really don't see much of him now when the lights are on, but when I got home tonight and turned them on I seen him for a bit.

He definitely has some color back, and even starting to see the spots again, and his fins are looking good, not all frayed.

This is new to me, I guess I am doing ok. I just feed flake food and veggie tabs and every now and then some blood worms (dried) and dried sea plankton for the other fish. Is there something else I can put in to help out?

A little update. He is looking a lot better already. He has found himself a hiding place, and I really don't see much of him now when the lights are on, but when I got home tonight and turned them on I seen him for a bit.

He definitely has some color back, and even starting to see the spots again, and his fins are looking good, not all frayed.

This is new to me, I guess I am doing ok. I just feed flake food and veggie tabs and every now and then some blood worms (dried) and dried sea plankton for the other fish. Is there something else I can put in to help out?

Right now he would do well on some zucchini, then ease him onto some of the more tasty things like fruits and sweet potato...

Back
Top Bottom