New Rabbit Snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candacecook1025

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just really wanted to show off my new rabbit snails! I got three orange posos and seven mini yellows. The yellow ones have been really shy and don't want to join the fun yet, so will post a pic of them when they are more settled in. The orange ones however have been zooming all over the tank (well, as much as snails can zoom) the second they were put in there! I never thought I would ever get a snail on purpose, especially one that cost quite a bit, but these guys kinda make me melt. They are goofy looking and so far pretty fun to watch. The shrimp attacked them right away, cleaning their shells, and hitching rides up the glass.

Sorry if pics are not awesome quality. They were just taken with my phone. Aren't they CUTE???

Attachments

• IMG_3603.jpg
    IMG_3603.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 94
Oh wow. I haven't investigated snails that much. Didn't know they could be so cute. I will have to look into this

I NEVER thought I would get snails. I always just thought of them as bugs lol. But I know they can really be useful for a clean up crew, so I started researching for some I wouldn't hate. Rabbits are pretty much exactly what I was looking for: They are sort of like MTS in the fact that they will eat just about anything so are great cleaners, plus they will burrow in the sand to stir it up. But they don't reproduce at the crazy speed of MTS so they won't ever overrun the tank. They actually only have one baby at a time, usually about once a month or so. Plus, they have goofy little faces and are actually cute! So I just went for it and I am glad I did...I love them!

How much were they if you don't mind me asking

Man, I looked everywhere for them! Online stores are selling them for $12-$18 EACH! For a snail! So I checked out AquaBid and got some great deals! I got the 3 orange Posos for $10 plus shipping, and the yellow ones were 6 for $12 plus shipping. He threw in an extra one as well. Reeeeally good deals. The sellers were Linyun49 (orange) and Armthehomeless (yellow), in case you want to check out their auctions. They had several different colors available when I was looking. Both came packaged very well too.

Just based on the research I did (I have only had them <24 hours, so no personal exp. yet) they *can* eat plants. Most people say that each one is different about plants, some love them (esp java fern for some reason) and some ignore them altogether. Most people also said that when their rabbits started eating plants it was because they were hungry and after feeding them the plants were ignored again. Hope that helps!

I've always wanted to get a few of the yellow footed ones for some reason, but went with yellow eyed mystery snails instead because they get larger from what I hear, and I also think i remember reading that it's harder to remove unwanted eggs of rabbits?
Anyways, Goodluck with your guys!!! They are definitely adorable!

Beautiful! I have rabbits and really like them they're different to look at, mine are the yellows and tiger, my yellow had four babies. Good luck with them :)

I got two different sized rabbits. The mini yellows should only get to about an inch or so. The orange posos are larger and can get as large as 3 inches, but most people I've talked to said that theirs are around 2 inches or so.

The rabbits don't lay eggs like other snails. They are considered livebearers, in that they have usually only one baby (can be multiple though) at a time and it is laid in a milky egg sac but it dissolves in just a moment and then you have a teeny version of the mama. They reproduce at a much slower rate than other snails also, usually one every month to 6 weeks. And you have to have both male and females to reproduce. Sure hope I got at least one of each! :)

Beautiful! I have rabbits and really like them they're different to look at, mine are the yellows and tiger, my yellow had four babies. Good luck with them :)

They are wonderful snails and this person is the one to ask questions about the snails!! I had one, but lost it to a contamination of the tank. Could you tell me where you got them? I sure would love some more. They start out shy, but mine was a clown! He would fall over the stones, get kind of caught in the corners, and was just beautiful in general. Did not eat plants, never caused any problems in a community tank. Enjoy them!!!

Back
Top Bottom