New Regugium Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just re-setup a 120 gallon freshwater tank. Formerly my 120 sprung a leak. Manufacturer replaced tank with no issues and now I have a new tank. Filtration before was two Aquatop cf500uv canister filters (using spray bars) and two Aqua clear 110 HOB filters. Lots of filtration was on this tank with lots of surface movement and I never had a single issue or any algae. Was one of my most stable tanks, near perfect.

In effort to upgrade the replacement, I now had my local LFS drill the new tank and add a Synergy Overflow box with all custom schedule 80 plumbing along with an Eshopps r-200 refugium/sump.

As of today it's finally up and running. Less surface movement than previously with two outflows from the sump which are moving the water surface, just not as much as before as when I had the four filters. Still very cloudy 5 hours in (seems to be clearing slowly) so just want to ask everyone's opinion. I am totally new to sumps/refugiums and it's my first sump even though I have 10 very successful tanks for several years using HOB's and canisters. They are all freshwater and 1 is 20 gal saltwater (plus a SW QT tank). On the salt tank I use just an Aquamaxx HOB protein skimmer. I would love anyone's input on the new sump on this FW (non planted/blackwater type) 120 and if they think the sump is all I need. Pump on the sump is rated at 800gph and was suggested by my local LFS (some of the most recognized aquarists in the industry in my area). I could easily add more filtration, but any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom