New Residents for my 2 ft tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well the Bronze cory I had trouble with died. Then shortly after a second died. So I stripped down the tank and rinsed the gravel in brine anlong the the plants. The plants are a little burnt from the experience, I hope that is an indication that any nasties were gotten rid of.

I re-set up the tank and got 6 small marble angelfish and 8 neons. The neons will go into a different tank when the angels get larger.

A 10 gallon is typically 20 inches, I believe. I think a 2 foot is either a 15 gallon or a 20 gallon tall. In which case.... the neons are fine, but the marbles will have to move in a few months... These guys will get far too big, and angels aren't really schooling fish........ I did notice that you said the neons will have to move eventually, but I recommend getting a larger tank for the angels. A 20 gallon is far too small for these fish, which can get 6 inches long and even greater in height. I'd advise a 55 gallon or larger for such fish.

Glad to hear you've made a new start. Sorry to hear about the cories. Always a real blow to lose such beauties. Cories esp. since they're such fun fish.

BTW, you mention having added these fish, but what's happened with your cycling of the tank?? Is it properly cycled to add these fish so quickly? Did you add BioSpira or cycle with danios etc??

Angelfish...yay! My fav *grin* and what cuties yours are! I'm loving the one with the big black blotch on his head.

Are you looking to breed em mattrox? If so, 6 is the perfect number to ensure you have at least one male/female pair (can't sex em otherwise). Keep in mind adult angels will need around 10g each, although your wee lil ones should be ok where they are for now. Exactly what size tank is it? Oh! And keep in mind when you do wind up with a breeding pair (which is just about guaranteed with 6 of em), you'll either need a really big tank, or a place to separate the pair. Angelfish get REAL cranky when they start breeding, and will chase all the other fish (not just other angels) into a corner if the tank isn't pretty big. I have 6 angels in my 55g, and when my breeding pair is at it, the rest of the tank cowers on the other side (including the loaches as well as the other angels).

In Australia, Tanks don't all come in standard sizes, the factory made ones are ridiculously expensive. They are sold by the length, so the average Joe knows which light fitting to buy. For example, one place I go makes their own tanks and gets stands made for the size. I got a 4ft (L) x 2ft (W) x 1.5 ft (H) from them. (Would have rather had 2 ft high but they didn't have one in stock and the extra glass was going to be $$$)

My 2 ft is around 20 gal. and 6 Angles won't live in there forever. I have successfully used a tank of the same size as a breeder before :wink:. I am looking to pick the fastest growing ones and save them for later. The isn't overstocked (right now). Their body size is about the same as a quarter. And as far as cycling is concerned ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates starting to appear. I used a pre-cycled sponge in the filter. I am monitoring water quality closely.

In my experience neons kick the bucket at the drop of a hat so if they start dropping off and I haven't noticed anything, I know there is trouble.

A breeding pair would be all that I kept in that thank when they pair off. I am feeding fairly heavily in hope that they grow quickly, the neons are there to clean up the floating bits the angels miss. I'll put a couple of cory's in once I am sure the fish in there are disease free.

*grin* That I am Sati. Jetlagged LOL But home and happy bout it (missed the fishies and the kitty really bad!).

Yeah, you're fine atm mattrox. While adult angels need around 10g each, 2g is fine for quarter size angels - I grabbed this chart from www.angelsplus.com which is run by one of the top angelfish breeders:

Nickel size bodies 1 fish per gallon
Quarter size bodies 1 fish per 2 gallons
Silver dollar size bodies 1 fish per 3 gallons
Stock ready to be paired 1 fish per 5 gallons
Full grown breeding pair 20 gallon tall

Have you bred angels before mattrox? If not, you may want to check that above mentioned site. Its chock full of breeding info. Oh, and what are you feeding em? I feed my guys frozen bloodworms once a day to condition em (besides another feeding of an assortment of other fishfoods - they eat twice a day).

I feed them flakes and frozen bloodworms. I usually feed adult fish twice a day but growing fish more often.

I let them gobble up the food I put in and then once that is gone put in a tiny amount extra. That is usually all gone in seconds as well. I do this 3 to 4 times to keep their little tummys full. However, I try hard to make sure the are not stuffing themselves too full at any one time.

Back
Top Bottom