New sailfin Molly acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a new male sailfin Molly and 5 neon tetras today for my established 26 gallon Bowfront . When I added him he was swimming normal but in the last hour or so he has been staying near the top. All other fish including my new tetras are acting normal and active. Should I be concerned? What should I do??
Please help asap!! :(

Aw okay mine use to just sit around all day till I bought some females but I think the ratio is 3-1 females to male and it's up to you if you wanna try it I put one in at first and he almost stressed her to death

Your Molly is ok. When ever you put new fish in a tank they get a bit stressed at first and they tend to hang around the top. The reason they do this is because the top of the tank contains more oxygen in the water and it helps them to relax. I would turn off your aquarium light to reduce stress.

You might want to check for ammonia and nitrite just to make sure that's not the problem. If they're zero, I'd just say wait a couple days for him to adjust to his new home before worrying :)

Back
Top Bottom