new sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agerv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i currently have gravel in my 29 gal which has been cycled probaly 3 or 4 weeks and i want to change to sand i already took half but was worried if i took it all outtonight i would get a mini cycle is this a reason for worry?

I read on here the other day someone suggest placing the old substrate in pantyhose. Then place it in the tank so the bacteria is still there..

alright, any substitute for pantyhose cause im a guy sooo... hahaha

agerv said:
alright, any substitute for pantyhose cause im a guy sooo... hahaha

Oh, umm run to payless and grab a handful of the ones they supply for fitting shoes :p

I'm not sure how well placing the substrate in a tupperware bowl would do but I'm sure that would work too?

You can buy a mesh bag, or dress socks. You know the ones you were when you are dressed formal

alright for now i just left half gravel in and i put in the sand using the bottle merhod but its still super cloudy, but tomnorow i will take out the rest of gravel and put probally a tupperware full of gravel

yes i did even though it said prewashed i didnt trust it

agerv said:
yes i did even though it said prewashed i didnt trust it

Even though I washed my thoroughly washed mine it was still cloudy, will just take a few it all to settle. Keep your filter off till then so it doesn't get clogged.

oh ok thanks for that i wouldnt have done it otherwise!

Just give it like 10-15 min. and the sand should be settled

Back
Top Bottom