new sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torres

Aquarium Advice Freak
does this sand looks normal to you, the color?
just finished putting it on, but its color seem darker that what i see in almost all fish tanks with sand.
I did wash it all for a long time before putting it on!
thanks.
0s0t.jpg

nkad.jpg

it might look darker just because their isn't an aquarium light over top to brighten it. Otherwise, what kind of sand is it? I have sand in my tank that I mixed with white and black sand, to make it look a little more natural, at least with the beaches I have been to, the sand is multi colored like that, might help. Otherwise, if you really don't like the looks of it you can change it.

o57v.jpg

i7p9.jpg

It does look better with lights on!!
Its play sand from Home Base (UK Store). I heard good and bad things from both pool filter sand and play sand, but there's no place near my house that sells the pool one so i took the play sand.
I'm thinking about doing it myself maybe, the sand mix, i think i want it to look more white..
I'm also gonna change all my decor, for white rocks and such, ill get Malawi setup soon!

I love that driftwood. It's starting to look awesome. Just run your hands trough the sand once in a while. I have a comb that people with an Afro use. It will sift sand a little.

oh right cool
im doing part time job in a fish store so ill start looking for some sand and the rocks there, maybe a really big driftwood too
ill post pictures whenever i start to get more stuff for the tank

If its sand from a pet store your good, its already been washed/stearilized. But if its just playsand from a walmart or home depot its very important to wash it because it can carry fungi and parasites namely sparogelia and tetrahyema both of which are deadly to fish...but hot water and a strong methylene blue soak for an hour or two and rinse it well, better safe then sorry, i learned years ago the hard way.

its just a giant store that sells all house interiors stuff. the play sand is safe because its for kids, but i washed it for a while anyway, until the water in the bucket was crystal clear. I haven't seen my parameters yet but dont guess there's any change on it + my fish there is fine. ill add more fish when i cure him from some disease he had before

the play sand is safe because its for kids

Kids are not fish, they do not get fungus, and they do not get parasites, hot water alone will not stearilize it enough, but hey do what you gotta do. Im just sayin that coz ive lost fish before that were perfectly fine and i find playsand to be the culprit. Tetrahyema (neon tetra disease) will destroy all your fish and theres no cure and it lives in sand....just warning you.

Back
Top Bottom