New Stocking for 20 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently got some New Fish from my aquarium store ( 3 Plates and 1 Small Honey Gourami) ..One of my platies died 3 days later I think from stress....Now I just looked in the tank and another one of my platies is died...The last one I have is pregnant and I think she has fin rot. So if all my fish dye I'm just going to go with different fish for my Gourami. What would be some cool fish for a small honey Gourami?

You know about cycling everything correct?

If your already getting sick fish from that LFS i would be a little skeptical about buying from them.

Could do tetras, endlers, corys, loaches, there are tons that can go in the tanks. Its all preference really.

Zebra loaches and kuhli loaches are cool and they would work. Need 5 of them for a school and the zebra loaches are pretty heavy on bioload for a 20 long.

Specific answer:
1. Check your water parameters with API Master Kit for fresh water. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, <40ppm nitrates before you add any more fish.

2. Make sure any disease is gone from your system before getting any new fish, aka wait two weeks.

3. Get two nerite snails and five white cloud minnows, or five tetra, or five Endlers, or five danios of your choice. Take the time to float the bags in the tank ten minutes. Open bag. Scoop out 50% of water and discard that water. Do not discard it in your tank. Scoop 1/4 cup of water from your tank and put it in the bag every five to ten minutes for half an hour to 45 minutes. Scoop fish from bag water and add to your tank. Throw away acclimation water and bag.

4. Maintain your tank by vacuuming a different 1/4 to 1/3 section of tank floor every week. Add dechlorinated or reverse osmosis/distilled water to replace what was lost during cleaning. Use API Master test kit to make sure your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates stay 0, 0, <40ppm. If they creep up, use the siphon to remove 25% of water, replace with aforementioned types of water until aforementioned levels are achieved.

5. Enjoy your aquarium. This last part is critical, else there's not much point and no motivation for 1-4.

Back
Top Bottom