new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting a new tank tomorrow! Yay! Long story short, my husband was on patrol one night and saw two tanks sitting in some guys yard, he knew the guy so the next day he asked him what he wanted for them. One is a 55 gallon and I don't know what the other is but I do know that the 55 is sitting inside the other tank. Awesome thing is that the guy only wanted $25 a tank. I'm going to attempt a planted tank but not until I put a little added touch to it. I'm going to build a 3d background (which I will most likely post in the DIY topic) but I thought about it tonight that I can't do just any background it has to kind of be functional to the fish. For example chichlids like caves etc. get what I mean? I'm really wanting a peacock goby, anyone have any suggestions for stock? I'm also leaning towards angels though I've never had angels before

a peacock eel,a rainbow shark,and some other awesome fish

Mumma.of.two said:
Great deal! If your doing a DIY background you might as well do Africans IMO. You can make heaps of caves for them to hide in.

I like the idea of Africans, seems like a good hardy fish. I like the cave idea, it helps the background actually serve a purpose. This background is kinda what I'm leaning towards, I like the way it looks very natural

Lol I don't know to be honest, discus are just cool haha I just saw that peacock gobies are from new guinea, so you could do certain species of rainbows

They should be fine with discus, discus are pretty peacefull. The peacock goby can be pretty picky with food but it should accept frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms which are both great foods for discus.

Freakgecko91 said:
Lol I don't know to be honest, discus are just cool haha I just saw that peacock gobies are from new guinea, so you could do certain species of rainbows

I like the idea of rainbows, I love colorful fish. I like the idea that mumma had too, I take it by Africans she means chichlids? I've never owned chichlids though so whatever stock I choose to go with I need to a bit of reading. I'm just trying to get a good stock list so I can design my tank in accordance with the fish to ensure their happiness :)

Just got a call from my lfs and she told me that she just got my peacock goby in! In fact she had ordered three of them! Yay I'm so excited! So now the peacocks are on my stock list for sure so now I need to figure out the best tank mates for it

Peacock gudgeons are pretty small fish with males maxing out around 3 inches. Males look like females until they mature. They ignore most similar sized tankmates but will eat fry. I never had to feed mine special, they accept flakes but were picky about pellets.

Ok now I'm not so excited, my lfs had ordered the peacock eel instead of the fish I wanted, she said that they are called a peacock goby which correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is a difference between the two. *sigh* back to the drawing board

alLexX said:
yeah,theyre very different

I thought so, I was wanting a peacock eel as well just not at this moment tell I have the new tank established. I picked up four emperor tetras instead, I really like them very cool fish. I was very interested in the angels she had there too.

In my experience with them, p eels are awesome! I had one for awhile. Make sure you have a lot of cover. At the time I had mine, my tank wasn't too heavily planted, so not a ton of cover. Mine turned almost strictly nocturnal. Tank mates were tiger/gold/rosy barbs, and a bnp. Everyone played nicely. Good luck.

Tetra1990 said:
In my experience with them, p eels are awesome! I had one for awhile. Make sure you have a lot of cover. At the time I had mine, my tank wasn't too heavily planted, so not a ton of cover. Mine turned almost strictly nocturnal. Tank mates were tiger/gold/rosy barbs, and a bnp. Everyone played nicely. Good luck.

Will the eels get along with the emperor tetras? I'm starting to really like these little guys

Back
Top Bottom