new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2manyFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got a new 70 gallon tank anf I wanna know the best way to transfer the fish from one tank to another. I have to shut the old tank down and move it to put the new one in its place and im not sure wat to do with all the fish as the new tank gets set up.

I don't know how many or what kind of fish but many people use Large Rubbermaid tubs or the large trash cans. Attach your filter & heater to it if you can, that'll help save your BB. Unless you move your existing tank to another spot temporarily & put the fish back into it.

We've used large tupperware tubs with filters and heaters alot of times over the years and they will work just fine. We've even had to keep fish in them for several days without problems. Just be sure if the tupperware container is much larger than the tank they came out of that your heater is large enough to keep their water temp consistant at the temp they are used to.

How long should I let the new tank run before I put the fish in

If you keep your current filter running & then transfer at least the media to the new tank you should be pretty much cycled. I'd move the fish as soon as the tank is set up. Test your water for a week or so to make sure there's no problems.

Honestly if it were me, and I've done this before, I'd fill the tupperware container with their tank water, get the new tank set up, but leave some room for part of their old tank water and use it in the new tank and if you don't have a ton of fish, or really delicate ones, I'd put them back in the new set up. But you will have to monitor the ammonia/nitrites daily and do WC's if it climbs above .25. With using the same filter you will have a good jump on having BB in the tank. So if you monitor you water and do your WC's as needed I think you'll be good. This method has worked for me in the past. Just be sure when adding water to the new tank that it is really close to the temp water they are in.

Just went through this - 10 g. to a 20 g. and neither was cycled. Moved the fish to a plastic tub with the old water, did a very quick drain and new set up. Used the old filter for a few days, and dumped some of the old water into the new tank. Fish did really well, it took the tank about three more seeks to finish cycling. Every time my Ammon. spiked, which it has to to cycle, I would do a Big WC and that would destroy the cycle. I finally just used prime to help the fish handle it, and let it go. It took about 5 days. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom