New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a 30 gal tank but it was built into my wall so I had to leave it in the house when we moved. I temporarily put my fish in a 10 gal for moving. I just bought a 65 gal with an external filter. We bought it 1 1/2 weeks ago. The guy at the Lfs said to add a bottle of live bacteria and add the fish right away then carry on as normal, no need to worry about cycling. I went back to see about purchasing more fish and another guy told me I should wait a month since the tank would still need to cycle and I should underfeed them for that period. He also sold me 6 phantom tetras and said that would give me enough fish to cycle such a large tank properly. I've been checking the levels in my tank, and so far everything is normal. This morning I noticed there's a lot of algae in my tank so I tested again, still normal.

Just wondering if I really should be under feeding my fish? Should I be doing frequent water changes? Does the live bacteria actually instantly cycle my tank as claimed?

Also, I think the amount of algae may be too much for my one pleco to handle in such a large tank. I think I should get another algae eater of some sort, not necessarily another pleco. Any suggestions? I plan to also get a Blue Ram and another school, maybe rainbows.

I'd look at getting rid of the pleco if its a common pleco. As for the tank It can take up to 8 weeks for a tank to fully cycle PROPERLY. As for the bb in a bottle...I wouldn't rely on it to much. Would not hurt to have some for emergency situations. I'd let it cycle correctly first. U need to be monitoring the tank levels. Make water changes as nessecerry. Try not to over feed and upset the load creating a mini cycle. The tank will have to adjust.

I had a 30 gal tank but it was built into my wall so I had to leave it in the house when we moved. I temporarily put my fish in a 10 gal for moving. I just bought a 65 gal with an external filter. We bought it 1 1/2 weeks ago. The guy at the Lfs said to add a bottle of live bacteria and add the fish right away then carry on as normal, no need to worry about cycling. I went back to see about purchasing more fish and another guy told me I should wait a month since the tank would still need to cycle and I should underfeed them for that period. He also sold me 6 phantom tetras and said that would give me enough fish to cycle such a large tank properly. I've been checking the levels in my tank, and so far everything is normal. This morning I noticed there's a lot of algae in my tank so I tested again, still normal.

Just wondering if I really should be under feeding my fish? Should I be doing frequent water changes? Does the live bacteria actually instantly cycle my tank as claimed?

Also, I think the amount of algae may be too much for my one pleco to handle in such a large tank. I think I should get another algae eater of some sort, not necessarily another pleco. Any suggestions? I plan to also get a Blue Ram and another school, maybe rainbows.

Don't underestimate 1 Pleco they eat up algae constantly I have a10 gallon tank and it was FULL of algae but 3 days after I bought Pleco it was crystal clear

The pleco will be fine until he gets bigger. But when plecos get big they become waste factories. I'd do 50% water change a week. At least 25%. If the levels are normal so far then I wouldn't worry about it. But u never know what could happen. Being prepared is the key.

So my pleco really isn't eating enough. The front glass has a fair amount of algae. So I ask again what you would suggest as a second algae eater?

Back
Top Bottom