New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heatherwright88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I know there has probably been 1,000 questions like this but im new to this so here goes... I bought a 10gal tank I set it up bought fake plants, decoration, and I have an Aqua-Tech 5-15 gallon filter. I used spring water. My stock was 1 algae eater, 1 goldfish, and 4 glo fish. My water got cloudy and no matter, with my water changes, it stayed cloudy. I even bought something to clear up the cloudiness. It didn't help. So one of the glo fish died.
So I took the rest of the fish out, emptied my tank, bought gravel, wiped out my tank, rinsed the gravel, rinsed the decorations, bought a new filter to go in it and let it run 24 hous. My fish was in a 1 1/2 gallon tank all the while. The water was dirty so I transferred them back to the newly set up tank. I am scared as to what I should do from here. I am afraid it will get cloudy again and my fish will die. How do I keep this from happening? I have read up a little on the cycling and everyone has differing opinions. I have ordered the Master water testing kit from amazon also. So if I could get some advice I would be so thankful. When I started I was not told anything about cycling or anything.
Tank now consists of:
1 algae eater
1 goldfish
3 daino glofish

what you describe is "new tank syndrome" which causes cloudy water. It will go away in time on its own after aquarium bacteria established.

Avoid chemicals or flocculants. Ditch the fake plants, use live plants if possible (best biological filters there are).

If after a few days water isnt clearing on its own, then can look at other options. bacteria need to establish in aquarium for long term success.

Back in the day, fish were not to be added to new aquariums for a week or two after setup. now you sorta see why.

Note: fish won't die because the water gets cloudy with bacteria etc. They can die due to stress and changing environments too often.

Just let your filter establish itself, might take a few days. Your aquarium should stabilize then.

I didn't know about cycling when I started, either. It's okay. You're learning.

Don't worry about the cloudiness. It's normal.

Your goldfish is going to get too big for your tank pretty quickly. Unfortunately.

Is there a reason you are using spring water?

I didn't know about cycling when I started, either. It's okay. You're learning.

Don't worry about the cloudiness. It's normal.

Your goldfish is going to get too big for your tank pretty quickly. Unfortunately.

Is there a reason you are using spring water?
I called the glofish hotline or whatever and the woman told me to use spring water instead of tap water. I was using distilled at first but she said to use spring.

Well down another glofish. I guess it was too stressed out from the cloudy water then all the moves in and out of the tank.

sorry to hear that. ya your tank is too new for livestock. hopefully it can stabilize soon.

spring water is fine. distilled is empty nutrient wise, thus shouldnt be used.

Okay my API water kit came in. Should I test the Ammonia first or everything? I haven't done any water changes since I set up the new tank.

It's getting a little hazy again so I'm concerned. Water change, or wait. These readings are good right?

readings are all currently great for fish...just wondering if your pre or post bacteria cycle....

if water begins to cloud again, most likely will be white hazy cloud. thats normal. cloudy water wont kill your fish.

no you dont need to do a water change. water tests showing good. bacteria cloud may show up but thats common. just means bacteria are growing in numbers to eventually stabilize tank.

where are your fish right now? in main tank that is cycling?

Back
Top Bottom