New tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappa565

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys upgrading my 20gallon aquarium to a new 52 gallon!! I am using my existing canister filter which is recommended for a 200litre aquarium!! Is there anything i need to know before moving my fish over or any tips you can guys can give me?

If I could suggest something. Uncertain what type of fish you have, but I would get a number of fake plants and/or structure so the fish are given an opportunity to stake a claim or hide out, until they slowly get use to their their surroundings. I think they are going to love the extra space.

A year ago upgraded from a 65 gal. To a 120. Transition was very smooth. First step:
- Gravel vac old tank, then transfer old gravel to new tank, mix old and new gravel.
- Transfer as much old tank water to new tank as possible. Keep power filter running as long
as possible. Keep the media reservoir full of old tank water when the filter is turned off.
- Transfer decor and fish as well as the heater.
- Top off the new tank with dechlorinated water and get the power filter up and running.

If you decide to use the old gravel, a very thorough gravel vac is very important prior to transfer and when you dig it out, be careful not to stir up the gunk. I learned the hard way several years ago during a transfer. The noted gravel gunk caused a big time bacterial outbreak and I lost several prized fish.
I've probably left something important out, maybe someone else will fill in the gaps.

Back
Top Bottom