Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alright nice. Gotta remember to cycle that filter too

Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have a filter for that tank. It wasn't a planned thing. I was going to buy the filter this month and buy the tank next month and then we are moving. But I am getting it for 50 bucks so I can't resist

Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

So vacuumed a tank for the first time. Ever. And being that I am a 22 year old female bear with me I am prone to exaggeration but that was ridiculously hard!! I watched all these you tube videos and they made it look so flippin easy. I took three gallons out. And that's not an exaggeration. Had to move the pleco three times because he was so freaked out because you need to go to a freakin class for gravel cleaning. For those of you who think my fish are alive because of my learning ability you guys are dead wrong. My two probably wish they were back at the pet store. Lol.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bahaha, it gets easier over time! I remember the first time I vacuumed, water everywhere and lots of colourful language. You should only need to take out 20% of the water from the tank.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol. So three out of seven lets be easy and say 40%. Math isn't my thing. My husband who understands all that sorts stuff had just said watch the water so it doesn't overflow said I got it. Yea my one gallon overflowed and he tried so hard not to laugh at me. Didn't work. So we got the old three gallon tank and it was about half way full. Needless to say I didn't have three gallons ready only one so I put that in the tank and then made a another batch of water. Why do water changes when I can just vacuum my tank out? Seriously. Would it be ok for me to vacuum it out every third day or does that stunt bacteria growth?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumperGirl117 View Post
Lol. So three out of seven lets be easy and say 40%. Math isn't my thing. My husband who understands all that sorts stuff had just said watch the water so it doesn't overflow said I got it. Yea my one gallon overflowed and he tried so hard not to laugh at me. Didn't work. So we got the old three gallon tank and it was about half way full. Needless to say I didn't have three gallons ready only one so I put that in the tank and then made a another batch of water. Why do water changes when I can just vacuum my tank out? Seriously. Would it be ok for me to vacuum it out every third day or does that stunt bacteria growth?
Just gravel vac once a week and it will remove your 20% of water. Thats how you keep ammonia down, you need to get the poo out. Unless your talking about a tank with no fish, therefor no poo,
Old 06-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydea View Post

Just gravel vac once a week and it will remove your 20% of water. Thats how you keep ammonia down, you need to get the poo out. Unless your talking about a tank with no fish, therefor no poo,
I have been doing it twice a week since I have a pleco in a small tank. Have decided to give it to a friend once he moves into his house and gets his tank settled again. And there is a betta in there but his "carbon footprint" is nothing compared to my pleco.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahhhh I see, ya common plecos are crazy big, there are so many better options. Here's one of my babies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3224533516.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	180438  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydea View Post
Ahhhh I see, ya common plecos are crazy big, there are so many better options. Here's one of my babies.
What is the species? And do you mean literal baby or just one of your favorite?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumperGirl117 View Post

What is the species? And do you mean literal baby or just one of your favorite?
Baby as in one of my fish children. He's a leopard frog pleco.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just making sure lol. What's his tank size and how big does he get? I am giving my guy to a friend but they are moving June 12 th so I am saying like a week for them to get the fish they already have settled. But I do like them and enjoy catching mine out and about when I can
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 110 gal and the biggest they can get is 4 1/2 inches

Tags
5 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com