New Tank. 5 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
My husband is going to kill me. I bought a 5 gallon tank today and will be buying a 55 tomorrow... Fish should come with a warning. Seriously. So couple of questions.

1. Have a cycled 3 gallon and can I put the filter and 2 gallons on the new tank and run it and it will work or do I have to let that certain tank cycle? So simply does the tank have to be cycled if i have good consistent readings in my 3 gallon? My filter goes up to 5 gallons.

2. Didn't come with a lid. Any suggestions till lid can be bought?

3. Should I transfer the two fish together or seperately once tank is ready?

This will also be my thread on getting it ready like everyone else does. BECAUSE I AM SO EXCITED.

Sorry. Here are some pictures.
First rinsing
ForumRunner_20130608_182911.jpg

Cleaning Decorations
ForumRunner_20130608_182911.jpg

Waiting for it to dry to clean them off.
ForumRunner_20130608_182921.jpg

Going to try vinegar and water first to get the stains off. Was sitting in a garage for 6 months.
ForumRunner_20130608_183003.jpg

Depending on what fish you are putting in, you may not need a lid - 3 out of my 4 tanks do not have lids.

So is the stock in the 5g just going to be moved stock from other tanks? If so, just transfer all the media to the 5's filter and the cycle should be instant, because the bioload is kept the same.

If you use the seeded media, there is no reason to transfer the fish separately, really.

My husband is going to kill me. I bought a 5 gallon tank today and will be buying a 55 tomorrow... Fish should come with a warning. Seriously. So couple of questions.

1. Have a cycled 3 gallon and can I put the filter and 2 gallons on the new tank and run it and it will work or do I have to let that certain tank cycle? So simply does the tank have to be cycled if i have good consistent readings in my 3 gallon? My filter goes up to 5 gallons.

2. Didn't come with a lid. Any suggestions till lid can be bought?

3. Should I transfer the two fish together or seperately once tank is ready?

This will also be my thread on getting it ready like everyone else does. BECAUSE I AM SO EXCITED.

1) using the same filter and media will "insta-cycle" the new tank. Using the same water will just be icing on the cake.

2) I suppose you could use cardboard or plastic wrap as a temporary lid. Unless your fish are prone to jumping, a lid isn't really required. One of my tanks is lidless. The only downside is the water evaporates more quickly.

3) both together is fine.

Good luck. :)

Also, I want to add that transferring water will really not matter for cycling - the bacteria colonize on surfaces, not in the water column.

Depending on what fish you are putting in, you may not need a lid - 3 out of my 4 tanks do not have lids.

So is the stock in the 5g just going to be moved stock from other tanks? If so, just transfer all the media to the 5's filter and the cycle should be instant, because the bioload is kept the same.

If you use the seeded media, there is no reason to transfer the fish separately, really.

Yeah. It's just a betta and a pleco. And I am putting everything the same. I am going to do two gallons on old water and three of new. We are getting the "pleco tank" tomorrow and he will be in there when the tank is done.

1) using the same filter and media will "insta-cycle" the new tank. Using the same water will just be icing on the cake.

2) I suppose you could use cardboard or plastic wrap as a temporary lid. Unless your fish are prone to jumping, a lid isn't really required. One of my tanks is lidless. The only downside is the water evaporates more quickly.

3) both together is fine.

Good luck. :)

Like I said. I gotta betta. Can't be helped. But this way I can have it all set up in time for my husband to be home and see how long it takes till he notices. And then get scolded.

All done!!

Turns out it actually holds 7 gallons of water not 5. Ugh. I guess my filter will have to do for now. So as I go to put everything in turns out hubster threw away the white gravel that was in the tank and used the rest of the black for the 3 gallon tank now. So I don't have nearly enough gravel but I put my decorations on the glass itself not the gravel. There is barely a layer. But I have the filter running and have fish in their respectable containers acclimating as the filter runs.

Question: In being practical I know it's definitely not ideal but what are the consequences of putting my 5 gallon filter on the 7 gallon tank? I am going to keep the 3 gallon tank so the filter isn't going anywhere. Pictures in next post. The children have eaten and its bath time. They are not enjoying sharing my attention any more than they have to. I have raised a two year old brat. Lol

with a betta I would make sure you have a lid!! I have a tank that has a lid made of craft mesh or something like that, it already has holes in it... plus its really cheap and comes in every color you could think of!! you can get a sheet at almost any craft store like michaels or hobby lobby (I don't know if you live in the US but if you do thats where you can get some)

if you need a picture I can take one!

with a betta I would make sure you have a lid!! I have a tank that has a lid made of craft mesh or something like that, it already has holes in it... plus its really cheap and comes in every color you could think of!! you can get a sheet at almost any craft store like michaels or hobby lobby (I don't know if you live in the US but if you do thats where you can get some)

if you need a picture I can take one!

Yea. That would be a great temporary fix. The goal is to move this tank into the boys room but with Aiden (my two year old) climbing everything that might not be possible.

Top view
ForumRunner_20130608_204609.jpg

Front view
ForumRunner_20130608_204617.jpg

And the next is my McGuivered way of acclimating them. Don't judge. Lol
ForumRunner_20130608_204644.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_204652.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_204702.jpg

Bath time for the kids and then time to put the fish in the tank for the fish time!!

yeah with a 2yr old that fix probably wouldn't work... I think you could get a piece of plexi class cut to fit with a few air holes! you might be able to find a real lid if you search the measurements of the tank!

yeah with a 2yr old that fix probably wouldn't work... I think you could get a piece of plexi class cut to fit with a few air holes! you might be able to find a real lid if you search the measurements of the tank!

No the tank is in my room for now. He climbs up everything and we decided the best thing would be to get a stand with no cabinets. But I definitely want to see a picture right now I am looking for big hardback books in my sons room to cover the top.

Be prepared to laugh. Here is my lid.

ForumRunner_20130608_212600.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_212608.jpg

Yep. A recipe book a pirate book and my high school year book. My poor fish.

Speaking of poor fish. The lid fell off of the plecos cup and he was on the floor for I don't know how long. Poor guy. He was already moving in anticipation when he saw the tank but I can't seem to move him anywhere without stressing him out. I honestly can't believe the thing survives everytime I deal with him. The betta had more sense and was fine. Here they are

ForumRunner_20130608_213006.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_213019.jpg

ForumRunner_20130608_213019.jpg
Can't get a clear shot of the betta and the pleco is as dark as the gravel trying to recuperate from me

Just open up the books a bit so there is some air exchange. If water temperature and parameter are good, the betta will not try to abandon ship.

You said you have a pleco? What kind? All plecos that I know if will easily outgrow a 5, or I guess 7 gallon tank. Did you say you were getting a 55 though? If so that changes things

You said you have a pleco? What kind? All plecos that I know if will easily outgrow a 5, or I guess 7 gallon tank. Did you say you were getting a 55 though? If so that changes things

Yep. In like 9 hours actually. He is a common pleco and he is growing at a steady rate probably two months max in this tank and he will have to be moved. Hubs gets paid on the 19th so then we will have to get a filter then.

Back
Top Bottom