New Tank, A few Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gui101do

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a first-time aquarium owner, so if some the questions are noobish, that's why.

The tank in question is 55 gallons (48 in, 13 in, 24 in), I have an undergravel filtration system, 2 powerheads, a heater, and an Aquaclear 70 power filter.

The tank cycled for a week. My water parameters are now stable and suitable for fauna.

Here is a pic:

55G_Cichlid.JPG

Temperature is set at 78 degrees, though my thermometer says it's 82 degrees. Thermometer on the heater says it's 76 degrees?

The plants in the top corners are plastic. The plants in the front and back are real and include:

Java Fern
Hygrophila Kompakt
Bronze Wedntii

I currently have 4 fish, all 2 inches or smaller, stocked in the tank:

1 Electric Blue Jack Dempsey cichlid
1 Synodontis Eupterus catfish
2 Kissing Gourami
Also have 2 Zebra Nerite snail

I would like to add the following in a few weeks:

1 Redtail shark
1 Blood Parrot cichlid

My first question is: given my setup, do I have enough room to stock all of these? I'd hate to overcrowd the aquarium and force the fish to live in a dirty, hostile environment.

Second question: What should I feed the gourami? The catfish and EBJD have been loving the pellets I bought, but I've yet to see the gourami eat any. The gourami seem to be more interested in gumming at the glass or gumming the broad-leafed plants.

Third question: The EBJD is rather frantic with his movements at the right side of my tank. He goes to the side wall, next to the heater and swims up and down, up and down, for hours. Is he stressed? Does he see his reflection or a glare in the glass? Is the tank to warm or cold for him?

Thanks for any answers and any suggestions for making my first tank a successful one!

Nice tank, I am curious though about your tank cycle. If it was clean and everything you added was clean i very highly doubt your tank is fully cycled, just my opinion though and that could be why your EBJD is stressed. I would def. keep up on the pwc's

As far as your stocking, BP's need atleast 45 gallons and if you already have an EBJD and kissing gouarmi's i would think twice about getting the redtail. I would only get one or the other and then the full potential of either one could push your limits.

The gouarmi's will eat flake food, bloodworms and brine shrimp but only as a treat.

I have those water testing strips and they've been showing little to no amonia & nitrites. Is there a better method of water testing?

How long should I wait to do my first pwc? How often should I vacuum during a water change?

I got 'New Life Spectrum Thera Regular Formula' from my local pet shop. Is that suitable for cichlids, kissing gourami & the synodontis right now? Should I buy blood worms or algae tablets?

Oh, here's some pics btw:

Full tank view:
DSC01934.JPG

The Gouramis with the EBJD:
DSC01933.JPG

The Synodontis emerging from the booty:
DSC01931.JPG

I am with CA, how did you cycle your tank? Also, I would go out and buy yourself an API master kit, the liquid is far more accurate.

Had some trouble getting the images up, but there they are now.

How much is an API?

As i said earlier i suspect you are still in the cycling stage and are now doing a cycle with fish so i would conduct DAILY water changes up to 50% also check out the thread on "i just learned about the cycling but have already added fish" ill try to find it, but it will tell you all you need to know.

As i said earlier i suspect you are still in the cycling stage and are now doing a cycle with fish so i would conduct DAILY water changes up to 50% also check out the thread on "i just learned about the cycling but have already added fish" ill try to find it, but it will tell you all you need to know.

its in my signature :)

Ok, well it may be a couple of days until I can get an API. Until then, I'll just have to go off of my dip stick tests.

My amonia levels are at .5, which is indicated to be at a 'stress' level. My nitrites & nitrates are both reading 0. Hardness is between hard & soft water, alkalinity is moderate, & ph is at 7.2 (neutral).

I will do a pwc tomorrow and see how it affects my water quality.

Anyone have a specifically helpful link for a first pwc? How much water conditioner should I add?

Any other thoughts on my stocking and stocking capabilities while I try to fix my tank cycle?

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom