New Tank and Dying Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gospelflier

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone. I have a question for you. I purchased a 10G tank and set it up. It has a back filter, a heater and gravel. I did not put in an undergravel filter because I was told it was not necessary. The water temp is set at 79 degrees. I needed to cycle the tank so I bought two small Zebras. The first day I put them in they ate fine. Then the next few days they stopped eating and one stayed on the bottom and the other stayed on the top. I checked the water pH and it was 8.0, so I did a 1-2 gallon water change two days in a row. I could not figure out why the pH was staying so high, so I checked my tap water and it is alkaline at 7.6. When I changed the water I added dechlorinator to it. On the 4th day (today) I found one of my Zebra's had died so I removed it.

My question is should I have put in an undergravel filter? When I had aquariums before I always did, but two employees at Petco said I didn't need one.

Back
Top Bottom