New tank cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm using an aquaclear 50 for my 30 gallon. I have an aqua tech 10-20 in my 10 gallon that is already established. I read if I put the filter media from my established tank to my new tank it will speed up the process. But the filters are two different brands... So would I just stick the aqua tech 10-20 blue cartridge in the 30 gallon's water?? Sorry, I'm just confused. Thanks for the help guys. I just want to speed up the process!

Tank Cycling

I'm using an aquaclear 50 for my 30 gallon. I have an aqua tech 10-20 in my 10 gallon that is already established. I read if I put the filter media from my established tank to my new tank it will speed up the process. But the filters are two different brands... So would I just stick the aqua tech 10-20 blue cartridge in the 30 gallon's water?? Sorry, I'm just confused. Thanks for the help guys. I just want to speed up the process!

Hello Sid...

You could "seed" the new tank and speed the cycling process a little in the 30 gallon. I'm not familiar with the Aqua Tech filter, but if you remove it and are able to squeeze some of the contents of that filter into the filter media that will go into the 30, you'd have a little bacteria for starters. Then, just put the filter media back into the 10 G. You could also remove some substrate, decorations or plants from the 10 and put those into the 30.

Keep in mind, the 30 won't be cycled, but it will be a start. The 30 may cycle a bit faster.

B

Back
Top Bottom