new tank! discus identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My brother and dad just got a new(to them) tank wondering what type of discus this was, there is another one in the tank but i cant get a good picture of it.
also the tank is foggy from the sand we just put in :/

slhgxu.jpg

Also, with the tank came a 6'' leopard sailfin pleco and a 3.5'' blue gourami

20089io.jpg

:thanks:

tank is cleared up now and slowly planting it and aquascaping it. thinking they may get rid of the pleco cause it will get huge

I believe my pleco is full grown at 7.8 inches I think average is 8

No offense is intended by this, but that discus doesn't look well. Not just the finnage, but the head shape and eye. I would definitely recommend to rehome the gourami. Congrats on the new tank!

No offense is intended by this, but that discus doesn't look well. Not just the finnage, but the head shape and eye. I would definitely recommend to rehome the gourami. Congrats on the new tank!

ok thanks for the heads up. we got the fish from the woman that had the tank before us. what should i do to help it out/make it better?

Just keep it healthy, well fed in clean water and avoid stressing it too much. We've actually got three stunted and rough discus that we got from a club member that had tried keeping them. It may heal up a bit, but the best case it that you maximize its current potential. Ours are still beautiful (to me) even if they are known to be "bad".

Just keep it healthy, well fed in clean water and avoid stressing it too much. We've actually got three stunted and rough discus that we got from a club member that had tried keeping them. It may heal up a bit, but the best case it that you maximize its current potential. Ours are still beautiful (to me) even if they are known to be "bad".

ok will do.
just for future reference. what led you to the conclusion that it ist doing well?i want to know so i can see if a discus is in good shape if i intend to get it or not

here are some new pictures of them got the other finally as well, and i didnt use flash so this is just them under the light

103j4g9.jpg

5slfr.jpg

2zedn2d.jpg

ok will do.
just for future reference. what led you to the conclusion that it ist doing well?i want to know so i can see if a discus is in good shape if i intend to get it or not

Fins, shape, kinda everything. They are in need of TLC.

Fins, shape, kinda everything. They are in need of TLC.

like i said ive never had or even seen a discus before this week, so i was kinda forced into them we are throwing around ideas of what we want to do in the tank and i know a lfs that has discus and they may take them

the lady before only had an undergravel filter below about 4'' of gravel and it looked like she hadnt cleaned the water in about a month or so :/ so my guess is that they weren't kept good care of

You are probably exactly right. Luckily for them, you have them now. :)

There's a lot of good discus specific info on the web. Start with simplydiscus.com and google searches if you want to learn more about them.

You are probably exactly right. Luckily for them, you have them now. :)

There's a lot of good discus specific info on the web. Start with simplydiscus.com and google searches if you want to learn more about them.

cool beans, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom