new tank giving up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dalfa96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i made the mistake of buying a 20 gallong and four cory and 4 guppys without knowing about a cycle until 3 days after buying the tank since then i bought a test kit and its been cycling for about 3 weeks im down to one guppy and three corys one is breathing heavy and most likely going to die i have two water sprites two anubius nana and two amazon sword plants in the tank there has been no ammonia for a week now and its at the nitrite stage now so when it hits over .25 i do a half water change and i do a 10 percent water change everyday or every two days i feel like giving up the plants are dying and its sad to see the fish suffer should i just pull the plug or is there anything i can do also i add the nitryfying bacteria product everyday

Don't give up do daily water changes atleast 25 percent and treat your water with conditioner before you add it into the tank I use seachem prime personally I made the same mistake when I first started and killed quite a few fish before I figured it out it just takes time amd practice. If your ever unsure about anything Google and YouTube are your best friends keep your filter dirty and water clean

You are well on track now. You dont have ammonia and are on top of nitrite. Unfortunately poor water conditions tend to affect fish a couple of weeks after being exposed to it, so although your water conditions are fine now its what they lived in previously that is causing issues.

What you are going through is the same as what the majority of new fish keepers experience.

I hope you stick at it and continue to do your best with the fish you have left. When cycled for those fish, you can look to then add more fish slowly and in a safe manner until you are fully stocked.

As per the previous responses about your plants, thats just plant melt and them getting used to living submerged. Nearly every plant has to go through that to start with and can several weeks to establish. Are you seeing any new growth?

Yea they do have new growth mostly in the water sprite however today the solar panel company is gonna shut off power to do some work while I’m not home and I have the filter that you need to put in water to get it going but I also have an air stone going so idk if the airdrome will be enough until I get home

Should be ok if the power isnt off for too long. Power outages are things that you just have to accept. Make sure you get the filter running again as soon as you are able and maybe plan for a water change as soon as you get back. Not feeding the fish before the planned outage is a good precaution.

I’d also think about adding some Anacharis and let it float. It’s a rapid grower that may help. You can prune it down later.

Back
Top Bottom