New tank ideas!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon, and I already have black sand in it. I have an idea on what I want it to look like, but I am open to suggestions. If I don't get some better ideas, I will put Obsidian in and small plants, mostly grasses. I want it to be a nice good looking show tank. I would like to hear all your suggestions, try to give me a better idea then I previously had:). Thank you for reading, and I look forward to reading your answers.(it is a black Fluval Edge)

Ok, so personally I'd be looking for bright colors, like blue and yellow, but this is hard in a 6 gal. A school of some of the micro rasboras, emerald eye tetras, ember tetras, celestial pearl danios (or whatever they're calling them now!) plus a small school of some of the very small cory species might be nice.

You could also go with shrimp.

Dario dario (badis) would probably show up really well, unless they darken in response to the black sand, which some species of fish will do.

You may have more options than you think!

Before, I was thinking that I would have a Beta and some cherry shrimp, do you think that would work? Thank you.

Yes it would. But I would start with a couple ghost shrimp. Then, if the betta is aggressive and kills the shrimp, you only lost a dollar instead of investing 30 bucks in rcs and then finding out your betta doesn't like them. If the betta leaves the ghost shrimp alone, you can add some rcs.

I would get some endler guppies and mosquito rasboras with a couple cherry shrimp

+1 on the endlers. About 5 endlers with 10 rcs would look awesome. Make sure the tank is heavily planted though because sometimes endlers decide to kill the shrimp and the plants would be a place to hide.

I want relatively "clean" fish that don't have much waist. Because I don't want to have to vacuum the sand because I lose some sand every time I do a gravel vacuum. I am okay with weakly water changes though.

Do you have any suggestions on how to vacuum the sand without picking it up?

Hold the siphon one half inch to one inch above the sand. It depends on the strength of the siphon. Just get close enough to suck up the poop. That's what counts.

Should i put my finger over the end of the siphon to control the power of the vacuum.

Okay. Can you think of any plants that would look good in a mostly all black aquarium? Thank you :)

I would find 1 nice piece of dw as a centerpiece with the obsidian in the background and sides. Also attach some starts of java fern on the dw with some dwarf hairgrass upfront. As far as stocking goes, either some cpd's or pygmy sunfish would be really nice! :)

Wow, those sunfish are really pretty, where can I get them?

I said "pygmy" sunfish. A 6gal. Edge would be perfect for a few of them. They're not your standard bluegill if thats what your thinking.
Pygmy sunnies are definitely a nano fish.

Back
Top Bottom