new tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Azmodan is spot on. No plecos. No knife. I say no puffers, they become very boring after a few months in my opinion. Very territorial, no harmony. You could also have some shrimp or snails. Maybe 10 galaxy rasbora, 10 Pygmy cories, 5 japonica shrimp, and a dwarf gourami (blue,honey,flame...)

Azmodan is spot on. No plecos. No knife. I say no puffers, they become very boring after a few months in my opinion. Very territorial, no harmony. You could also have some shrimp or snails. Maybe 10 galaxy rasbora, 10 Pygmy cories, 5 japonica shrimp, and a dwarf gourami (blue,honey,flame...)

How many fish can I put in a 20 high realistically? That might help too

It depends on what fish. Some are more active and need more room per fish. Some get bigger. Some don't like many others in the tank. We'll see what all you like and try to help get a nicely stocked tank.

You could get two if you weren't really getting much else but if you're going the community route you'd want to just stick with one. They are pretty peaceful so you'd want to get other peaceful community fish with them like the ones I mentioned earlier. A school of fish like rummynose tetras or harlequin rasboras are good because they act as dither fish. Having these fish around make the GBR less shy and more likely to come out. GBR are very sensitive to new tanks so it's generally recommended to wait several months (ideally 4+) until your tank has adequately "matured". They are also very sensitive to nitrates so you'll want to keep an eye on those (always under 20 ppm). Live plants will help tremendously with that.

You could get two if you weren't really getting much else but if you're going the community route you'd want to just stick with one. They are pretty peaceful so you'd want to get other peaceful community fish with them like the ones I mentioned earlier. A school of fish like rummynose tetras or harlequin rasboras are good because they act as dither fish. Having these fish around make the GBR less shy and more likely to come out. GBR are very sensitive to new tanks so it's generally recommended to wait several months (ideally 4+) until your tank has adequately "matured". They are also very sensitive to nitrates so you'll want to keep an eye on those (always under 20 ppm). Live plants will help tremendously with that.

OK thanks!! I'm going to start this tank slow, but I think that this may be the end result that I want.

best thing you can do is research before you buy, know what you are putting in your tank. if you really like the fish and your tank is big enough, get it

You could try two ram. How about a German, and a gold. Then 5 cories, and 5 tetras, that would be nice.

You could try two ram. How about a German, and a gold. Then 5 cories, and 5 tetras, that would be nice.

I definitely want a German. I'm gonna look up different tank mates for them too. I would like to do a nice mix of fish, some that swim on the top, middle and bottom.

That's what I gave you on the above^^ stocking suggestions. The rams will be in the middle, the tetras on top and the cories on the bottom.

I definitely want a German. I'm gonna look up different tank mates for them too. I would like to do a nice mix of fish, some that swim on the top, middle and bottom.

If you do corys, remember its best stick with the same species.

I was thinking 5 pandas like NYgiants was saying, one ram (eventually) and all I have to do is decide on a nice schooling fish now. I also saw at the LFS there were fresh water eels. Could I do one of those as well? Or would that cause problems?

Back
Top Bottom