New Tank Instantly at CYCLE level equal to other tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKEET

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up a new 30 gal hexagon tank and took the the RENA XP-1 off my other tank, whick is far along in the cycle process, to use on the new one.

I tested both tanks an hour later and they have the identical test parameters. COOL

Now is that new tank going to do something weird or will it continue on just like the older tank ???????

The filter had established bacteria colonies so it would jump start your cycle. The speed to finish will depend on the bioloads in both tanks.

Still have high Nitrite levels with 5-10 ppm Nitrate, still doing several water changes a day to lower Nitrite.

Seems that its getting close to being completed.

Ok...this reads as though you moved one filter from an un/partially cycled tank with fish to another completely uncycled tank with fish???

(I'm assuming the sig is current)

Also...Is it .5-.1 or 5-10 ppm nitrite?

There are fewer fish in the new tank , that would be a decreased bio load correct? Will that cause the cycle to last longer or finish quicker?

Yes, filter from partially cycled tank onto new tank. It was 5-10ppm Nitrate( NO3 ) and NO2 levels get up to 2.0 and higher.

There are fewer fish in the new tank , that would be a decreased bio load correct?
correct.

Will that cause the cycle to last longer or finish quicker?
The decrease in bioload will not impact the timing...it will how ever keep the water quality from fouling as fast.

It was 5-10ppm Nitrate( NO3 ) and NO2 levels get up to 2.0 and higher.
Sry,misread that.
2 pmm is pretty high.I would make an effort to keep the nitrite levels below 1,preferably around .5 ppm.

You will jump start the cycle in the new tank like this (at least to the point of the cycle in the old one).My bigger concern would be the much needed bacteria that has been removed from the old one may cause higher nitrite spikes there.

I would have to agree, by removing the filter from the partially cycled tank, you are running the risk of higher nitrite values there. You are in for a lot of water changes I'm afraid.

I will keep a close eye on the Nitrite .

Thanks to you all.

Back
Top Bottom