New Tank, Lets Hear Your Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquatic_Adam

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's official, got a 125 gallon. Won't be setting it up for a while but it's never too soon to get ideas going!

Let me know what you would do if you had my tank!

Bearchumjs said:
Try your hand at saltwater! You could do a reef or a fish only with live rock (fowlr).

I thought about SW because my girlfriend loves the colors. But I'm experience in FW, and I'd love to see a huge planted tank. Who knows though!!

Do a bayou swamp theme... Find some cypress roots and cypress knees... What's that stuff that floats on top... Water lettuce? Then get some other plants and fill it up. I have no clue what fish you'd put in though... A small catfish?, Crawfish, and something that will swim in the upper water column...

Gar don't belong in aquaria. A viable alternative to that would be a redfin or grass pickerel, though. With either you'd need to stock similar sized fish to avoid predation, longear sunfish would be pretty.

Native gar get too big for most aquariums. An alligator gar gets too big to put into some swimming pools. Here's Jeremy Wade with an average sized alligator gar.

alligator-gar-324x205.jpg

The smaller species like Florida gar or shortnose are good alternatives also but I personally would start with a 300+gallon tank.

Last edited:
Really I did not know that alligator gar for aquariums are the same fish as the one in the pic.

I'd do a planted South American biotope with a school of 20+ rummy nose tetras, a couple pairs of rams, and so forth...

You know what I think already but.... high tech, high light, heavily planted with all the really cool and colorful plants that you usually only see in show tanks, especially Dutch Style. Then pick your fish accordingly.

I would do an asian biotope. Crypts. I don't know plants I'm a fish guy really. Rasboras, barbs, gouramis, danios, and loaches.

Back
Top Bottom