New tank, lots of problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
So today I received three new fish tanks, all for free! I got two 10G's and a 20G. The 20G has about 15 cichlids (still trying to identify them), an angel, and a common pleco.

Everything that could be wrong with a tank, is wrong with this tank. The filter stopped working so I had to take one of my filters rated for a 10G and put it on the 20G. There is no heater, the hardscape is not set up for cichlids (no rocks at all), the angel has major fin rot, and the water quality is that of a dirty swamp. Oh, and the hood doesn't fit at all and is missing the hinged front part, and the glass that goes where the lights are.

I can't afford another filter right now, but I am trying to fix up a couple broken ones that came with the two other 10G's as well as the one that came with the 20G. I'm currently doing a huge water change (50-75%) and I'm going to try to find some rocks later today.

Does anyone have any advice on any of the problems I'm having with this tank? I'm trying to do all I can at the moment, but I've never had to fix up a tank that is this bad before.

Has the tank been cycled? Do you have a test kit so you can monitor your ammonia and nitrite levels? Your 20G sounds like its WAY over stocked, especially with no filter. I would probably take the larger fish and the angel to a LFS and try to get store credit. You are going to have serious problems with all those fish and no filter. If that is not an option, do you have any air pumps? You could rig up a couple sponge filters with some gravel from an established aquarium.

I cleaned and fixed the filter that came with it, so I now have two filters on it, both rated for 10Gs. I know it's way over stocked, I plan on taking the majority of the fish to my LFS. I am getting another 20G in a week or so and I plan on moving the angel there by itself, after I tear down this tank and clean it. When I picked it up, it only had about 5 gallons of water in it. The tank is cycled and all the levels are where they should be.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 30ppm

In about an hour I'm going to go get some rocks from a small river close by. After I cure them I'll set them up so the fish can have somewhere to go. All the fish seem to be doing just fine except for the angel, who has major fin rot. It's the worst case I've ever seen. It doesn't really even look like an angel any more. When I head to my LFS later today or tomorrow I'm going to pick up some meds for it and put it in my hospital tank so he has a chance to get better.

Well, my angel died this morning. I think he was just stressed from being picked on by the 18 convicts. I've also got about 30 convict fry in the tank now.

gonna say first off seems like way too many fish for that size tank :(

Sorry for your loss of the angel. Too bad his last owner neglected him so badly.

A cheap alternative for the cichlids is getting some terracotta pots. You can get some small ones at home depot or another hardware store for really cheap.

I know it's way too many fish for a 20G tank. I've taken 14 of the convicts back, which leaves 4 convicts (1 mated pair and 2 more females) and the pleco, who will be moved to a 75G tank after it cycles.

Thanks kaio. And thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. I still want to do rocks, but it's starting to get cold and I may not be able to pick them up for my african cichlid tank once I get it set up.

The terracotta pots are good, and look good as well.... I went to a garden center and got two small ones for either 25 or 50 cents each. I had a hard time finding them at home dept and big box stores.

Back
Top Bottom