New tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgrippy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! So I'm looking to add another fish to my tank. It's a 35 gal long freshwater tank. I have a small clown pleco, four Pearl gouramis and four gold pristella tetras. I definitely want to add four more pristellas but I also like the idea of having another pleco. Would that be feasible? And if so what kind? I attached a picture with my water parameters. All input appreciated!

Also, I have a piece of Driftwood and two plastic wooden decorations and plastic plants with a black pea gravel substrate. I have a HOB penguin 200 biowheel filter with added bio media for filtration and a heater that keeps it at 78 degrees all the time. Capture%2B_2017-05-11-22-27-01.jpg

That's a lot of Gouramis. Pearls are generally peaceful, but they are still Gouramis and may get very territorial as they grow up. I'd think a single pair would be plenty. They aren't social as adults IME.

And yes, I'd add more of the Pristellas.

I'm a fan of large groups of small or social fish.

21 Neons and 10 Rummynose in my 55g

IMG_3277.jpg my male PG. He rules my 55g in a peaceful manner

That's a lot of Gouramis. Pearls are generally peaceful, but they are still Gouramis and may get very territorial as they grow up. I'd think a single pair would be plenty. They aren't social as adults IME.

And yes, I'd add more of the Pristellas.

I'm a fan of large groups of small or social fish.

21 Neons and 10 Rummynose in my 55g

View attachment 299330 my male PG. He rules my 55g in a peaceful manner
That's what I have heard but right now they are doing okay together and I watch them closely and haven't noticed any signs of agression yet. They came from a community tank where there were six of them together so I'm gonna see how they get when they get older.

I have a feeling your puffers and Gouramis will fight. Also, I would add more tetras. They need a school of at least 6, but I would recommend 10. Gouramis will snap out of nowhere, take it from experience. And I hope those are not all males, or just one female. I would add floating plants as well if you do not have any. Gouramis MUST have 40% coverage of floating plants.

I have a feeling your puffers and Gouramis will fight. Also, I would add more tetras. They need a school of at least 6, but I would recommend 10. Gouramis will snap out of nowhere, take it from experience. And I hope those are not all males, or just one female. I would add floating plants as well if you do not have any. Gouramis MUST have 40% coverage of floating plants.

Could you explain why you say pearls need floating plants? Are they more secure that way? Thanks

Could you explain why you say pearls need floating plants? Are they more secure that way? Thanks

Do Pearl Gouramis Need Floating Plants? | Animals - mom.me

Essentially they come from slow moving water and thick vegetation. It helps them feel more secure because animals from above (Cranes, Herrons) can't see them. They also need vegetation in their diet, so they nibble on the roots. I personally have Frogbit and a little bit of Salvina Minima. If you need any, just let me know.

My floating plants have died off. But my Pearl was tank bred and by now he rules the tank by size alone. Not aggressive at all.

I do have a black background and sides to help my fish feel more secure. Plus wood , large rocks and a big Sword plant to hide behind.

Once I get my CO2 up and running I'll be adding more plants.

The puffers have their own tank

Back
Top Bottom