New tank problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimberley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to all this so you may have to bear with me. I did have a tank set up and everything within it was running smoothly, until it decided to leak. Unfortunately, I had no access to a tank that was set up so I had to buy a new one, which is now my picture. I was advised to use the old water, the old gravel and decorations and to wash the new and old sponge filters together. I did this, and now I'm losing my fish on a daily basis :( I understand about cycling and things, but I had no other option. I now have left - 4 platys, 1swordtail, 1 African dwarf frog, 1 ghost shrimp 1 large apple snail and 2 bristlenose plecs. The platys and swordtail and shrimp are now just staying at the top of the tank, and I don't know what to do now. I did a 50% water change around an hour ago, and this has made very little difference. Thanks

Yes. I only have the 6 in one strips, they are saying my nitrate is slightly higher than it should be, so to do a water change which I have. It doesn't test for ammonia though and I think that that may be the issue. I'm really not sure as I'm new to fish keeping.

The folks in here recomend the kit as it is more reliable. When you rinsed tour spongea di tou use tank water?

Okay, ill have to test with that. I think my grandad has one. Yes, rinsed them together in a bowl of tank water

It is about two thirds the size of my other but this one was the only one I could afford at short notice. It's 21.6 uk litres. I think it is a little small for what I have. I'd hate to lose my frog and bristlenose plecos.

That may be the problem. Transfering everthing from one to another would not hurt. It maybe that your fish are creating to much bioload.

Okay, I did think it could be an issue as my old tank was bigger, but it was a surprise when it started to leak, and the pet shop said the new tank would be okay. Would there be anything I can do to help it? I think I may end up losing some fish :(

Okay, should I water change everyday? Around 50% or is that too much? The water is a little cloudy. How long should I do it for and do you think I'll lose some fish? Sorry for all the questions!

Okay, thank you so much for your help. I'll have to buy a proper testing kit asap.

Okay, so just stick to water changing and testing the water and hope for the best with the fish/frog/plecs/snail

Okay, ill do another water change tomorrow afternoon and then test the water everyday? I may not be able to get the proper kit for a week as I'll have to order it

Touch wood, my fish have perked up this morning and looking a little more active. I'll do another water change when I'm home from work, but hopefully, it will help!

5 US gallons / 21 litres - you are way overstocked and your Pleco's produce a massive load of waste, I'm sorry I don't see how that tank is ever going to work with the stocking and I think your going to loose more fish. I would do bigger water changes daily, and get a new tank ASAP. 21 litres is just big enought for 1 Betta or Dwarf Puffer - you would need at least 120 litres for 2 Pleco plus tank mates.

Hi, like I said, I understand that. But I had no other option. My old tank was bigger, and decided to leak. This one was the only one I could afford short notice.

Back
Top Bottom