New tank procedure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fierflie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is currently cycling, and I'm already thinking about upgrading to a larger size.
Any tips about transferring fish and possibly water to a new tank would be greatly appreciated. I am a first time fish owner and I am legally considered a child, so please be patient if I don't understand something that may be blatantly obvious to well experienced aquarium keepers, also please describe everything in great detail.
Tips, links, or past experiences would be thankfully taken.
Thanks!

My tank is currently cycling, and I'm already thinking about upgrading to a larger size.
Any tips about transferring fish and possibly water to a new tank would be greatly appreciated. I am a first time fish owner and I am legally considered a child, so please be patient if I don't understand something that may be blatantly obvious to well experienced aquarium keepers, also please describe everything in great detail.
Tips, links, or past experiences would be thankfully taken.
Thanks!

Put the fish in tuper ware (assuming they aren't big) and take all the water out of your old tank or as much as you can and put it intothe new tank. If the old water fills up most of the tank then use the drip method to acclimate the fish and then top off the tank like a eater change

The single post important part is the filter media since that's where the vast majority of beneficial bacteria is colonized. Moving the actual water over won't do anything other than making it easier to acclimate the fish.

Do you plan on keeping the smaller tank up and running...or are you simply upgrading?

The single post important part is the filter media since that's where the vast majority of beneficial bacteria is colonized. Moving the actual water over won't do anything other than making it easier to acclimate the fish.

Do you plan on keeping the smaller tank up and running...or are you simply upgrading?

eco is than man when it comes to cycling so listen to him and +1 on the water transfer.theres no need to do it

eco23 said:

Thanks for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom